Norwich City and England goalkeeping coach Dave Watson linked with Manchester City move
- Credit: Action Images
Norwich City may have a fight on their hands to keep hold of Dave Watson, after Manchester City were linked with a move for their highly regarded goalkeeping coach.
The Guardian reported on Tuesday morning that Watson, who doubles up as England's keeping coach, could be a target for the hierarchy at the Etihad Stadium following Massimo Battara's departure along with manager Roberto Mancini.
The big draw in that case would be England number one Joe Hart, who is also first choice in Manchester and has worked well with Watson since the pair were together at club level with Birmingham City during 2009-10.
It may be new Etihad boss Manuel Pellegrini will look to bring in his own man – but if not, then it is suggested 39-year-old Watson would be Manchester City and Hart's desired appointment.
The pair have been together in Brazil for England's 2-2 weekend draw in the international friendly to mark the opening of the refurbished Maracana.
Watson joined Norwich last summer, following Chris Hughton from St Andrew's and joining up with John Ruddy, Declan Rudd and Jed Steer, who Watson had already worked with during his time in the England set-up.
News on players focused on the usual suspect – Celtic striker Gary Hooper, pursued so heavily by City in January.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 Two men arrested after fire caused by disposable BBQ at country park
- 5 Plans for roundabout at accident blackspot set for submission
- 6 Holidaymakers face further severe TUI delays from Norwich
- 7 Elizabethan manor house with 20 acres and a pool on sale for £2.75m
- 8 Man who rushed to help woman stabbed in city park feared she might die
- 9 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 10 Stunning drone shots capture high tide in Wells
Linked with a £6m summer move to Championship new boys QPR, now Sunderland are apparently beating Southampton to the £7m chase for the 25-year-old.
Celtic boss Neil Lennon said: 'He is a pivotal, masterful player for us, he has really developed into a top-class striker. We would love to hold on to him, it is a priority for me to hold to him, but if we get a bid in that is good business for the club we may have to think again.'
Like Hooper, this one will probably run and run.
Twitter rumours of a Norwich swoop for Ricky van Wolfswinkel's Sporting Lisbon team-mate Diego Capel seem born more from hope more than anything else.
The Spain winger has been a long-time target for Liverpool and is now also attracting Swansea's attention, with £5m believed to bag the 25-year-old and with it, ease Sporting's financial pain just that little bit more.
Meanwhile, Southampton youth goalkeeper Will Britt has been offered a professional contract at St Mary's.
The youngster spent the second half of last season on loan at Carrow Road and played his part in taking the Canaries' under-18 side to FA Youth Cup glory.