Norwich City 2 Leeds United 3
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City slumped to another self-inflicted Championship defeat against Leeds United at Carrow Road to increase the pressure on Alex Neil.
Ronaldo Vieira came back to haunt the Canaries again after his penalty winner in the EFL Cup tie last week when his speculative long range shot in stoppage time squirmed past Michael McGovern.
Kyle Lafferty had levelled two minutes earlier after Pontus Jansson and Chris Wood cashed in on fresh defensive weakness to cancel out Robbie Brady's first-half goal.
Norwich's line up showed two changes from the 5-0 mauling at Brighton. The suspended Alex Tettey was replaced by Louis Thompson for his first league start for the Canaries. Robbie Brady was also restored to the starting XI in place of Jacob Murphy and Wes Hoolahan was included for his 300th appearance in City colours.
McGovern retained his place in goal with John Ruddy again on the bench, but Leeds featured Rob Green back on familiar turf after his long-service at Carrow Road.
McGovern scrambled across his line to parry from Kalvin Phillips before the unmarked Wood headed Pablo Hernandez's corner at the Northern Irishman in a nervy start from the hosts.
But Brady eased the growing anxiety when he flicked Alex Pritchard's near post corner over Green, who could only claw the ball against Leeds' right-back Luke Ayling stationed on his own line.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 2 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 3 7 of the prettiest villages in north Norfolk
- 4 Recycling centre closures planned as part of £15m County Hall cuts
- 5 Carriageway of A11 remains closed after air ambulance called to crash
- 6 Customers travelling especially to visit charming new café at fishery
- 7 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 8 Peter Crouch speaks on bid to track down his 'Norfolk husband'
- 9 Drink driving teacher crashed into church wall with baby in car
- 10 Police called after sudden death at home near Norwich
Hoolahan's landmark occasion brought an unwanted booking for sliding in on Kemar Roofe in the slick conditions.
Leeds levelled in the 57th minute, capitalising on fresh defensive charity from the hosts when Jansson shrugged off Cameron Jerome to power a header over Thompson.
The visitors continued to carry the greater attacking threat and cut City open again in the 74th minute when Martin Olsson was easily beaten by Hadi Sacko, who rolled in Ayling bursting the wrong side of Pritchard to pick out the unmarked Wood to slam past McGovern.
Neil turned to Lafferty with six minutes of normal time remaining and the Northern Ireland looked to have earned a point when he guided an angled close range finish past Green.
But there was one more sting left for the toiling home side and it was Vieira again who hammered a swinging low shot from fully 35-yards that McGovern could only palm into his bottom corner to inflict a third straight league defeat on Neil's men.
• Norwich: McGovern, Martin, Bennett, Klose, Olsson, Thompson, Brady (Jacob Murphy 75), Dorrans, Hoolahan, Pritchard (Lafferty 84), Jerome. Subs (not used): Ruddy (GK), Bassong, Naismith, Oliveira, Josh Murphy.
• Bookings: Hoolahan (foul on O'Kane, 39); Jerome (dissent, 69)
• Goals: Brady (24), Lafferty (88)
• Leeds United: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Roofe (Sacko 55), Wood, Doukara (Vieira 72), O'Kane, Jansson, Hernandez (Grimes 89), Taylor, Phillips. Subs (not used): Silvestri, Cooper, Antonsson, Berardi.
• Bookings: Jansson (ungentlemanly conduct, 57); Phillips (foul on Olsson 90)
• Goals: Jansson (57), Wood (74), Vieira (90+1)
• Time added on: 1 minute / 7 minutes
• Referee: Andy Davies (Hampshire)
• Attendance: 26,903