Norwich City 0, Leyton Orient 1

Norwich City's dreadful FA Cup record continued when they were knocked out at the third round stage on home territory by League One side Leyton Orient – with a goal scored by one of their former players.

History repeated itself as Orient won by the same scoreline as their last FA Cup encounter with City at Carrow Road in a third round replay in 1978.

Midfielder Jimmy Smith, on loan at Norwich three seasons ago, scored the only goal after 20 minutes with a header from a cross by Dean Cox.

The Canaries had the lion's share of the play in the second half, but despite three substitutions, they did not do enough to trouble goalkeeper Jamie Jones and Orient defended stoutly to hang on to a hard-earned victory.

A fine save by Jones from Anthony McNamee in stoppage time was as close as City came to taking the tie to a replay.

Less than 24 hours after manager Paul Lambert's statement committing his future to the Canaries in the wake of Burnley's attempt to recruit him as their new boss, the defeat came as a major anti-climax.

It was another swift exit from the competition – the 13th time in 16 seasons that City have failed to get past the third round.

Most Read

Lambert made six changes to the eleven who started the 1-1 Championship draw with Middlesbrough on Monday and it may just have been too many.

Goalkeeper John Ruddy, defender Michael Nelson, midfielders Andrew Crofts and Simon Lappin and skipper Grant Holt were given a breather as they were named among the substitutes, while midfielder Owain Tudur Jones was cup-tied after playing for Yeovil in the first round.

Into the side came 19-year-old goalkeeper Declan Rudd, defender Zak Whitbread, winger Anthony McNamee and striker Chris Martin, who played only the second half at Boro'. Also back after injury were midfielder David Fox and forward Wes Hoolahan.

Russell Martin, who scored a week earlier in the 1-0 win over Queens Park Rangers, was handed the captain's armband.

Leyton Orient made two changes with Terrell Forbes back in defence after suspension in place of Andrew Whing, and Jonathan Tehoue replacing Scott McGleish in attack.

There were two ex-Canaries in the Orient line-up with defender Elliot Omozusi and midfielder Jimmy Smith included in the starting eleven.

Orient were backed by 2,000 travelling fans but the overall crowd was 8,000 below capacity with big gaps in the Norwich & Peterborough and Aviva Community Stands.

City were operating with a diamond midfield with McNamee behind the front two and Hoolahan on the left.

Orient broke promisingly in the third minute but Cox spoilt the move with a poor cross that drifted behind for a goal kick.

City threatened for the first time when Fox found Chris Martin on the right side of the penalty area and he did well to cut the ball back from the byline, Chorley almost touching it past his own 'keeper, Jones, who grabbed the ball as it bounced off his body.

With eight minutes gone, Rudd was brought into action by two ex-Canaries as Smith turned on to Omozusi's through-ball and struck a left-foot shot that the diving 'keeper saved but couldn't hold, grabbing the ball at the second attempt.

Orient forced the first corner of the match on the left-hand side after 19 minutes and it led to the opening goal from Jimmy Smith.

Cox played it short and took a return pass before providing the perfect cross for Jimmy Smith to head home.

City were appealing for a penalty three minutes later when Hoolahan's shot, from Chris Martin's pass, appeared to strike the hand of full-back Daniels as he dived to block it.

Korey Smith was hobbling as he slipped to try to keep the ball in play, but it was Orient who made a change after 26 minutes when ex-Canary Omozusi made way for Whing.

A cross from McNamee caused Jones to come out and punch clear, but the Orient 'keeper had not been unduly troubled in the opening half-hour and the atmosphere was distinctly subdued.

David Fox struck a left-foot shot from outside the penalty area but it lacked power and rolled wide.

Seven minutes before the break, Hoolahan's right-foot shot was kept out by a fine save by Jones, diving to his right, after Fox had dived to head the ball into Hoolahan's pass.

But a corner from Daniels almost provided a second goal for Orient when Rudd failed to meet it but Tehoue planted a free header wide of the target.

Spring then shot from just outside the penalty area but sliced his effort wide.

Defender Forbes came to the rescue for Orient when he blocked Wilbraham's shot at the near post from a Russell Martin cross. From the resulting corner, Barnett headed wide.

Fox was booked in first-half stoppage time for a foul on Orient skipper Dawson.

• HALF-TIME: Norwich City 0, Leyton Orient 1

Orient forced a corner in the second minute of the second half when Tehoue raced on to Cox's pass and forced Whitbread to concede the flag-kick, but Drury headed clear at the near post as Daniels failed to clear the first man.

City won a corner eight minutes into the half with McNamee's kick headed clear by Daniels.

Forbes headed clear from a cross from McNamee at the expense of another corner, but Chorley was first to Fox's kick to head clear.

With just under an hour played, Orient made a second change with M'Poku replacing Cox.

With 63 minutes, Fox latched on to Revell's attempted clearance and volleyed just wide, but City soon made a double change with Lappin and Holt replacing Drury and Wilbraham.

Chris Martin fired into the crowd from Fox's pass as City tried to step up the assault.

A cross from McNamee almost provided a chance for Holt as he raced in at the far post, but it was just too strong.

Both sides made their final changes, in each case in attack, as McGleish replaced Tehoue for Orient and Jackson was sent on for Chris Martin for City.

As the hosts kept up the assault, Fox's volley was blocked by team-mate Jackson.

At the other end, M'Poku was not too far off target with a curling effort from the corner of the penalty area.

Forbes made a brave dive to head clear from Lappin's cross as Orient came under pressure again, but again the Canaries could not find a way through.

Jimmy Smith brought Rudd into action again with an audacious shot from wide on the right touchline that the keeper grabbed high to his left.

With three minutes left, Russell Martin was booked for a foul on M'Poku.

In stoppage time, Whing was booked for a foul on Lappin.

McNamee was then denied by a fine save by Jones – City's last throw of the dice.

• RESULT: Norwich City 0, Leyton Orient 1

• Norwich City: Rudd; Russell Martin, Barnett, Whitbread, Drury (Lappin, 64); Fox; Korey Smith, Hoolahan; McNamee; Wilbraham (Holt, 64), Chris Martin (Jackson, 72). Subs (not used): Ruddy, Nelson, Crofts, Johnson.

• Leyton Orient: Jones; Omozusi (Whing, 26), Chorley, Forbes, Daniels; Spring; Jimmy Smith, Dawson, Cox (M'Poku, 58); Revell, Tehoue (McGleish, 71).

Subs (not used): Butcher, Aaron Brown, Chambers, Kane.

• Referee: Dean Whitestone (Northampton)

• Attendance: 18,087

• Goal: Orient: Jimmy Smith (20)

• Bookings: City: Fox (45), Russell Martin (87). Orient: Whing (90)