Norwich City 0, Hull City 2

Late goals from Robert Koren and Tom Cairney condemned Norwich City to their second Championship home defeat of the season. Hull were on the receiving end for much of the afternoon at Carrow Road but their late double salvo gave them their first away victory for 18 months.

Koren headed an untidy opening goal in the 82nd minute after a shot from Andy Dawson took three deflections, while Cairney curled in the second from a free-kick one minute from time.

It was the first time City had failed to score in 10 league and cup matches this season.

The two sides did not look as if they were two divisions apart last season but all City's polished football counted for nothing after that late double blow.

City were unchanged from the 1-0 win at Preston, but full-back Steven Smith was included on the bench for the first time since recovering from an ankle injury he suffered during the pre-season tour of Germany. Smith replaced Matthew Gill among the substitutes after Gill joined Peterborough on loan earlier in the week.

For Hull, without an away win in 18 months, skipper Ian Ashbee was recalled and midfielder Jimmy Bullard, who had a trial with the Canaries back in 2001, passed a fitness test on a bad back.

Hull threatened first in the sixth minute when Cairney latched on to a Bullard pass and let fly powerfully from long range, Ruddy managing to parry the shot and Simpson being ruled offside as he went for the rebound.

Most Read

As City hit back, Crofts headed over from a Lappin free-kick, but the final touch came off a Hull player and a corner was awarded. When Lappin's kick came over, however, referee Foster spotted an infringement.

Heavy showers punctuated the early stages of play on an afternoon more akin to November.

A 15th-minute corner, conceded by Gerrard, almost provided an opening when Lappin's kick was flicked on at the near port, but Barnett kicked thin air as he swung a boot at the loose ball.

There was an opening for City when Hoolahan made a timely interception and sent Holt away but the captain's attempt to float in a long-range effort from wide on the left drifted wide of goalkeeper Duke's left-hand post.

The first yellow card of the afternoon was shown to Hull captain Ashbee for a clumsy challenge on opposing skipper Holt.

Chris Martin presented Holt with an opening on the right side of the penalty area, but he was quickly closed down and when he picked out Lappin, the midfielder's cross was cleared.

Bullard tried his luck from long range after 24 minutes but his effort was high and wide.

A neat move involving Hoolahan and Chris Martin ended with Russell Martin firing a low cross into the six-yard box, but Duke grabbed the centre at full stretch.

Hull won their first corner in the 28th minute when Koren's shot was deflected out by Barnett, but as Bullard's kick came across, the linesman's flag was up.

Fagan brought Ruddy into action on the half-hour but his shot from the corner of the penalty area was little stronger than a backpass.

Dawson conceded a corner under pressure from Holt and this time Barnett headed well over the top.

Holt forced Duke into a save after 34 minutes when he diverted a shot from Crofts with his heel but the 'keeper was alert to the deflection.

Holt forced Gerrard to concede another corner but Duke was able to make a clean catch from Lappin's flag-kick.

• HALF-TIME: Norwich City 0, Hull City 0

Ashbee conceded a free-kick two minutes after the break by blocking Hoolahan's cross with his hand, but Lappin's kick was just too high for Holt.

Hoolahan badly sliced a right-foot shot wide of the target one minute later after being set up by Chris Martin.

It was handball again as Dawson cut out a cross by Russell Martin and although Lappin's free-kick was cleared by Gerrard, Hoolahan floated the loose ball back across goal where Barnett just failed to make contact as the cross grazed his head.

Holt was left hobbling as he blocked a Lappin clearance on halfway at just a few yards' range.

Bullard had a dead-ball opportunity just outside the City area but his effort, though on target, was an easy catch for Ruddy.

Ayala reacted angrily to a challenge by Holt on the touchline and the referee spoke to both players before play resumed, with Norwich beginning to take control.

A one-two by Hoolahan and Lappin produced City's best effort yet after

58 minutes as Duke dived low to keep out Hoolahan's goalbound effort, although it appeared Lappin may have had the better shooting chance in the first instance.

Gerrard made a desperate clearance from another Hoolahan cross as the Canaries stepped up the pressure.

A low cross-shot by Russell Martin struck Ayala as Hull began to look rattled at the back, and Duke clung on gratefully to a Drury cross as Holt jumped at the near post.

Lappin had another clear shooting opportunity on his left foot after a slick move involving Chris Martin, Holt and Hoolahan, but opted for a square pass and the chance was gone.

Hull made a double change with both strikers withdrawn after 64 minutes, replaced by Cullen and the veteran Barmby.

Ayala was booked for a challenge on Chris Martin, but with 15 minutes left, there was still no breakthrough for the Canaries.

Holt was booked after a foul on Dawson.

Hoolahan set up a golden chance for Chris Martin after 77 minutes but the striker, in a one-on-one position he normally relishes, was thwarted by Duke as he attempted to slide the ball past the 'keeper.

Hoolahan turned provider again with a cross to the far post, but Barnett's header was straight at Duke.

Jackson replaced Chris Martin but after so much pressure, City fell behind eight minutes from time to an untidy goal scored by Koren.

Dawson's low drive was deflected first off Korey Smith, then by Barmby and finally off Ward, looping up for Koren to beat Ruddy with a simple header.

City replaced Lappin with McNamee five minutes from time and, with time ticking away, Russell Martin slid in with a vital challenge on Barmby to stop him making it 2-0.

A foul by Ward on Koren earned him a yellow card and gave Hull a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area, from which Cairney wrapped up the match.

He curled in a direct free-kick, left-footed, to give Ruddy no chance and seal his side's first away win for 18 months.

In stoppage time, Garcia replaced goalscorer Koren as Hull made their final change.

• RESULT: Norwich City 0, Hull City 2