Newcastle striker Dwight Gayle in contention for Norwich City clash after injury
- Credit: PA
Newcastle United striker Dwight Gayle could be in contention for the Magpies Championship trip to Norwich City on Tuesday evening.
The 26-year-old has been sidelined for four weeks with a hamstring injury sustained against Brentford when he notched his 20th goal of the season.
Gayle wasn't risked during Newcastle's 1-0 win against Wolves at the weekend, which helped Rafa Benitez's side stay top of the Championship.
However, the former Crystal Palace man, who was linked with a move to Norwich in the past before choosing St James' Park, could be available on Tuesday.
Asked if Gayle would be available for the Norwich game, Benitez told the Sunderland Echo: 'It depends on him. He is training with the team, and he has trained OK, but sometimes it is the confidence of the player, so we will see how he feels.'
You may also want to watch:
Aleksandar Mitrovic, picked ahead of Daryl Murphy in the absence of Gayle, scored the only goal of the game at Molineux to take his goal tally for the season to six.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 4 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 5 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 6 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 7 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 8 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 10 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder