Nelson Oliveira feels an excitement over next season at Norwich City despite missing out on the Premier League – and he doesn’t plan to lose focus on getting ready for the Carrow Road battles ahead
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
It was supposed to be a Premier League party by this stage of Nelson Oliveira's Norwich City career.
The Portuguese striker admits it himself. The promise of a top-flight return after playing in the top flight while on loan at Swansea, was a significant part of the draw to Carrow Road.
A Championship tally of 11 goals from his 27 league appearances – just 12 of them starts – was boosted by his first-half brace at Elland Road, before the wheels came off and City turned a 3-0 lead into barely a point off Leeds.
The record suggests some may want to offer Oliveira that Premier League chance sooner than his current club could muster, but the 25-year-old forward is still fully focused on achieving his goal with the club he now calls home – after numerous loan moves during his time with Benfica.
'Exactly – I came here with that proposal of the Premier League but we haven't achieved that this season,' said Oliveira.
You may also want to watch:
'We have conceded some mistakes. But we need to focus on next season now and achieve promotion then, because I think we are capable of that and Norwich deserves to be in the Premier League, not in the Championship. And we will do our best to do that.
'Like I've said before, I think it's very important to a player to settle at a club and this is my first time that a club has signed me permanently – and I have found my home here, I feel good here.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 5 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Do you recognise this man?
- 8 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 9 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 10 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
'I can play week in, week out, and when this happens I can show my best, I can score goals, I can put in a good performance.
'But when you go on loan it's always hard because you never find that home and for me, it is not good.'
While much is up in the air ahead of City's summer rebuild, Oliveira acknowledged he plans only to concentrate on getting himself ready for next season at Carrow Road.
'To be fair, it is not my business,' added Oliveira. 'I have nothing to do with the rebuilding. I just need to do my work and focus on Norwich, and hopefully next season we achieve our goals and we get promoted.
'This season we make mistakes but we need to focus next season. I think everyone is excited about next season, we need to push in the right direction and hopefully we can have a great one.'