Nelson does his duty for Norwich City
Michael Nelson's Scunthorpe United did themselves – and his former club, Norwich City – the power of good with a surprise victory over promotion-chasing Nottingham Forest.
Forest could have moved into second place in the Championship by winning at Glanford Park, but a 19th-minute goal, credited to Chris Dagnall, instead gave the Iron their first home win since August and ended the visitors' 10-game unbeaten run. For centre-half Nelson, who joined Scunthorpe on the last day of the January transfer window, it was his first win with his new club in his third outing after defeats by Hull and Cardiff.
Forest stay fourth in the table, one point behind the third-placed Canaries with one game in hand. Scunthorpe manager Ian Baraclough was a relieved man after his team secured their first victory of 2011.
'It has been a long time coming – four and a half months for your first home win. The performance was immense from everyone,' he said.
'It is only three points, it is a start. We said in the dressing room that if you don't put in that amount of effort on Saturday against Derby you will get beaten. It is as simple as that.'
You may also want to watch:
'From now until the end of the season we've got to put out that level of performance and get some consistency.'
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 3 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 4 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 5 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 6 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 7 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 8 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 9 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 10 City recruitment chief linked with Boro exit