Idah and Spyrou fire young Canaries to big win over Borussia Dortmund U23s
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Young strikers Adam Idah and Anthony Spyrou were the stars of the show as Norwich City Under-23s thrashed their Borussia Dortmund counterparts 6-0 in a friendly in Germany.
The duo scored a brace apiece in the first half against a young Dortmund II squad, the former team of Canaries head coach Daniel Farke, who play in the fourth tier of German football.
Irish ace Idah added another two to take his tally to four goals early in the second half and complete a comfortable pre-season triumph.
Majority shareholders Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones, sporting director Stuart Webber and first-team player Jamal Lewis were among the spectators at Kampfbahn Schwanbell in Lunen, north of Dortmund.
They saw the young Canaries take an early lead through a penalty from Idah in the third minute, calmly sending the keeper the wrong way after a header from City centre-back Timi Odusina had clearly struck a Dortmund hand.
You may also want to watch:
Ten minutes later and it was 2-0 as forward Spyrou rose highest to head home a Bilal Kamal corner from close range and put Matt Gill's team firmly in control.
Another goal arrived for the tourists in the 24th minute when Spyrou grabbed his second, allowing a Kamal through-ball to run into his path before lashing home a powerful right-footed effort for 3-0.
Scotland international Russell Martin was playing at the centre of defence for City, with head coach Daniel Farke having confirmed a loan exit is looming for the long-serving defender.
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 3 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 4 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 5 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 6 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 7 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 8 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 9 Shoppers queue for revamped garden centre reopening
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace
Idah made it 4-0 with five minutes of the first half remaining as the visitors continued to dominate, finishing a slick counter-attack with a composed finish, drawing the keeper before rolling home.
The Republic of Ireland U18 international and Essex-raised Spyrou were both part of the group of young City players who recently signed their first professional contracts with the club.
Idah, 17, added another two quick-fire goals around the hour mark to make the scoreline even more emphatic in the second half, with his four-goal haul adding to his first-team goal in the 2-1 friendly win at King's Lynn earlier in pre-season.
Spyrou's double added to his strike in the U23s' 2-1 win over Paderborn U23s on Sunday, which kicked off their training week in Germany.
City's youngsters are due to return to action next Tuesday when they take on Colchester United U23s at the League Two club's training ground (1pm kick-off).
City U23s (starting XI): Oxborough; Kamal, Martin, Odusina, Richards; Aransibia, Payne, Coley; Idah, Spyrou, Power. Subs: McCracken, Jones, Milovanovic, Scully, Thomas
Goals: Idah (3, 42, 57, 59), Spyrou (13, 24)