Blades win the race for Liverpool starlet also linked with Norwich City
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Sheffield United have won the race for reported Norwich City loan target Ben Woodburn.
The 18-year-old Liverpool starlet has joined the Blades on a season-long loan move, after reports of late interest from Aston Villa was seen off.
United and the Canaries were both reportedly among the Championship clubs keen to take the forward on loan – who had featured regularly for the Reds during pre-season and played the second half of a 4-1 friendly win over Manchester United in the USA on Saturday.
The teenage Wales international becomes the latest reported Canaries loan target to go elsewhere in the Championship, with Liverpool team-mate Harry Wilson having opted for Derby County.
Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount has also joined the Rams and his Blues' academy team-mate Kasey Palmer went to Blackburn on loan earlier this week, a player City sporting director Stuart Webber knows well from his time at Huddersfield.
Whether the links ever became concrete enquires from the Canaries is another thing though, with Webber's time as director of academy recruitment for Liverpool between 2009 and 2012 making him an obvious link to the young Reds duo.
So far this summer Norwich have signed Felix Passlack from Borussia Dortmund and Jordan Rhodes from Sheffield Wednesday on season-long loans. EFL clubs are restricted to naming a maximum of five loan players in a matchday squad.
You may also want to watch:
After signing Woodburn, Sheffield united boss Chris Wilder told his club's website: 'Ben is a great signing for us, he is an exciting player with undoubted quality.
'He's been involved with Liverpool throughout their pre-season and I'm delighted they've trusted us with one of their outstanding young prospects, who is a full international as a teenager.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 4 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 5 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 6 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 7 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 8 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 10 Family's tribute to much loved motorcyclist, 21, involved in A10 crash
'It's his first loan move and I'm sure it will be a great one for all parties. He makes goals and score goals with both feet, he can play in a couple of attacking positions and gives us flexibility at the top of the pitch.'
The Canaries face the Blades in just their third fixtures of the Championship season, at Bramall Lane on Saturday, August 18.