Cantwell gives a glimpse of creative capabilities during impressive league debut for Canaries
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Out latest Norwich City player watch kept an eye on academy product Todd Cantwell as the 20-year-old made his Championship debut during last night's 2-1 win at Reading.
The Dereham-raised youngster set up the Canaries' opener and proved a vital attacking outlet during the frantic closing stages, as his emergence as a first team option continued.
Here are the key moments from Cantwell's big night...
11 – Times jump wrong and misses header from Sam Walker goal-kick but gets up to beat Liam Kelly in the air and turns forward before being fouled by Sone Aluko.
14 – ASSIST – Marco Stiepermann is tackled midway in the Reading half but Cantwell reads the situation well to pick up the loose ball and thread a pass to the left, rather than the obvious ball right to Buendia, and Teemu Pukki lashes home low into the bottom-right corner from 15 yards for a 1-0 lead.
You may also want to watch:
30 – Alex Tettey clears a Chris Gunter cross and Cantwell controls well with his chest but Pukki puts the ball out of play so Stiepermann can get treatment.
35 – Poor header from a Jamal Lewis throw but fights back and then weaves out of trouble to play back to Christoph Zimmermann.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 5 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 6 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 7 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 8 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 10 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
50 – Doesn't get the foul he wants but Moritz Leitner wins the ball and finds him again on the left, pushes forward but loses the ball in the box trying to squeeze between two defenders and Reading break, but Klose makes the tackle.
51 – Emi Buendia turns infield to Cantwell, who spreads nicely left to Lewis, who blasts a poor shot well over.
56 – Sticks with Aluko out wide and tackles back to put the ball out for a corner.
57 – Sets Pukki away on the left and Ilori trips and puts the ball out for a City corner, only for the ref to give a foul.
74 – About to shoot in the Reading box soon after the equaliser, following a powerful run down the left from Stiepermann, but taken off his toes by Mario Vrancic, who turns and lashes home to reclaim the lead.
87 – Vrancic finds Cantwell, cuts back to Jordan Rhodes, who spreads to Tom Trybull, who threads to Vrancic, who turns superbly and forces Walker into a good save.
88 – Superb run by Vrancic to find Cantwell left of the box but blasts shot against a defender.
Verdict: Fine pass for the goal, showed real maturity in the latter stages and carried an awkward threat throughout. A fine league debut from Dereham's finest. Persevered with his defensive duties on the left but will still have his sights sets on a central role long term.
Rating: 7 out of 10