Norwich City loan watch: Goals for Wildschut and Abrahams during opening weekend
- Credit: PA
Yanic Wildschut made a memorable start to his loan at Bolton Wanderers, scoring the winning goal at West Brom on the opening weekend of the Championship season.
The Norwich City winger came off the bench in the 78th minute with Phil Parkinson's side holding the recently relegated Baggies to a 1-1 draw at The Hawthorns.
He then turned home from close range in the 89th minute to snatch an unlikely win for Wanderers, who spent last season battling relegation.
Wildschut has joined Bolton on a season-long loan deal which takes him through to the end of his Canaries contract, although there is a break clause which allows him to be recalled in January, either to be sold or to rejoin the City squad.
The other Norwich loanee in the Championship, defender Sean Raggett, could only watch on from the bench as Rotherham started their return to the second tier with a 5-1 thrashing at Brentford.
You may also want to watch:
Raggett could get his first chance to impress on Saturday when the Millers host Ipswich.
Young striker Tristan Abrahams also got his loan spell off to a great start, scoring a late goal as Exeter City started their League Two campaign with a 3-1 home victory over Carlisle.
- 1 When can I go to the beach? Lockdown travel questions answered
- 2 Photos show RAF centre being visited by ‘beast’ of an aircraft
- 3 Driver fined after leaving queue before entering Co-Op
- 4 New mass vaccination centre opening in Norfolk
- 5 'Stay local' warning and visitors fined after hundreds head to Sea Palling
- 6 Mum sets up sideline selling jewellery made from breast milk
- 7 Cottage project that is a 'step back in time' coming under hammer
- 8 Revealed: Adult vaccination rates are lower in some areas of Norfolk
- 9 Police fine 39 second-homers and day-trippers in resort crackdown
- 10 Restaurants and pubs reopening outdoors in April
The 19-year-old came on in the 64th minute with hosts already 2-1 up and made sure of the points with a classy finish from 10 yards, lashing a left-footed shot across the keeper and into the top-right corner.
There was a less memorable debut for Diallang Jaiyesimi elsewhere in the fourth tier, being replaced in the 55th minute of a 1-0 loss at Bury after Tom James was sent off, with the visitors eventually being reduced to nine men before conceding an 89th minute goal to see a point slip away from them.
There were three Norwich loanees involved in one Scottish Premiership game, with Steven Naismith scoring a penalty as Hearts won 4-1 at Hamilton. Young striker Mason Bloomfield came on in the 80th minute for the hosts but City midfielder Adam Phillips stayed on the bench.
In Germany, Marcel Franke played all of a 1-0 home win over Paderborn for Darmstadt on the opening day of the Bundesliga II season.
• Watch Wildschut's and Abrahams' goals above