Modest goals is Jacob Murphy’s Norwich City mantra
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Jacob Murphy is leading Norwich City's goalscoring charts so far this season – but he still only has eyes for keeping his place in Alex Neil's side.
The 21-year-old forward had not scored a goal for City's first team before pre-season. It's now September and Tuesday's match-winning Championship brace in the win over Wigan has taken Murphy's tally to four.
Yet all Jacob wants, for now, is to repay Alex Neil's faith, rise to his challenge and hang around in his starting XI – starting at Nottingham Forest this weekend.
'The manager has shown a lot of faith in me, which I'm really grateful to him for,' said Murphy. 'And he challenged me again before Tuesday. He said I'm in the team, keep hold of that shirt – hopefully I've done enough to keep that. My game is about scoring goals and assists, and that will keep me in the team.'
Murphy is confident the performances will come after two hard-fought home wins over Cardiff and the Latics.
'If you're not having your best games and you're still picking up three points, then that's always a good sign,' said Murphy. 'We've just got to keep plugging away and the performances will get better. But the boys worked their socks off and we got the three points.
'If we get the third goal, that's the game killed off. But we'll have games like that when we have to grind the result out, which we did.'
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 3 Men fined more than £600 for fishing illegally
- 4 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 5 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 6 The best places to eat in north Norfolk according to The Good Food Guide
- 7 9 of the best campsites on the Norfolk coast
- 8 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 9 Factory worker was found dead at home, court told
- 10 Norwich man wins jackpot on BBC game show Pointless