Michael Turner signs for Norwich City
Norwich City have confirmed the expected signing of Sunderland centre back Michael Turner on a two-year deal for an undisclosed fee.
Turner becomes the Canaries' second signing inside 24 hours following the arrival of former Leeds' skipper Robert Snodgrass. Black Cats' boss Martin O'Neill revealed on Thursday Turner had travelled to Norfolk to discuss personal terms and undergo a medical after City had a bid accepted for the former Hull defender. City chief Chris Hughton believes Turner's top flight nous will be invaluable to the Canaries.
'I'm delighted to be able to bring Michael into the squad as he is a player with a wealth of Premier League experience,' he told the club's official site. 'At 28 years old he is joining us at a good age, and I'm happy to have been able to welcome him to Norwich City.
'Like with Snodgrass, (Jacob) Butterfield, and (Steven) Whittaker, it's nice to bring players in with a good amount of time left in pre-season so they are able to gel with the squad ahead of the first game of the season.'
Turner was entering the final year of his current deal in the north-east, but O'Neill had stated their would be no fresh contract offer on the table for the former Charlton trainee, who moved to Sunderland for �4m in 2009.
You may also want to watch:
'We have a number of centre-halves,' said O'Neill. 'Since Michael came into the side under me, he's stayed in the team. But, at the moment, I was unable to offer him an extension to his contract. Norwich came in with the promise of some extra years and it's something he wanted to look at. But if things don't develop, then he's welcome back because he did as well as anyone in the last couple of months of the season.'
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 3 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 4 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 5 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 6 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 7 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 8 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town