Farke confirms Martin is training with City U23s ahead of another loan exit
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Head coach Daniel Farke has confirmed that Russell Martin is likely to be leaving Norwich City on loan again this season.
The long-serving defender is in Germany with the Canaries during a pre-season training camp but is training with the under-23 squad and started this afternoon's U23 friendly against Borussia Dortmund.
The Scotland international, capped 29 times, has made 309 appearances for the Canaries since initially joining on loan from Peterborough in 2009 – placing him 22nd in the club's all-time appearances list.
'When you have such a club legend with such a great career either there is a possibility to back him against all odds and support him in each and every situation, or, the second way is to do without him,' Farke said.
'We have this decision to send him on loan and to do without him. I think it's the best decision to do it like this because Russell is not a player who can sometimes be in the team and sometimes not.'
Paddy's Pointers: The pressing issues on Norwich City's German tour
Martin made 17 appearances while on loan with Scottish Premiership side Rangers during the second half of last season, having fallen out of favour with Farke after a 4-0 mauling at Millwall last August.
The man who captained the Canaries to Wembley victory in the 2015 Championship play-off final now has one year remaining on his contract and looks set for another loan but Farke feels the situation has been dealt with sensibly.
You may also want to watch:
'I'm full of respect for his career and I think it's the right way to do it, in an honest way,' Farke said, speaking to BBC Norfolk.
'I think when you have an experienced player either you back him and give him big responsibility for the team or you have to be clear-cut, and that's what we did.'
- 1 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 2 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 3 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 4 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 5 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 6 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 7 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 8 Aldi to open 100 new stores with eyes on towns in Norfolk
- 9 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 10 Police probe launched after video shows officer kick out