‘I’m hoping we can pack out the stadium’ – Marshall happy to be pantomime villain for City legends game
- Credit: EMPICS Sports Photo Agency
The pantomime villain for the upcoming Carrow Road legends game has been revealed – as Andy Marshall has signed up for a return to Norwich City.
The goalkeeper made over 200 appearances for the Canaries before making the controversial switch to Ipswich on a free transfer in 2001, soon after being named player of the season.
However Marshall, now aged 43, is ready to enjoy some banter with City supporters as it means raising funds for the Community Sports Foundation's new base, The Nest.
'I think I should come out in a mask and a gown, and make the old chuckling noises!,' the former Canaries keeper joked. 'In all seriousness, it's been a few years since I've been back at Carrow Road, but it's something I'm really looking forward to. I'm sure the Norwich fans will welcome me warmly, in their usual manner!
'The game isn't just about Norwich City Football Club, or Inter Forever, it's about bringing everyone together and raising money for a great cause. I'm hoping we can pack out the stadium.'
You may also want to watch:
Marshall joins a team of Norwich legends including Bryan Gunn, Chris Sutton, Darren Eadie and Iwan Roberts who will face a team of Inter Milan favourites, including Francesco Toldo, Jurgen Klinsmann and Javier Zanetti.
The exhibition game, in aid of CSF's Build The Nest campaign, is being held at 2pm on Sunday, May 20 and will also mark the approaching 25-year anniversary of City's famous Uefa Cup run.
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 7 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 8 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 9 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 10 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
A trainee with the Canaries since the age of 10, Marshall made his debut in December 1994 and was also an England Under-21 international.
His addition to the legends team follows hot on the heels of news that Mike Walker, manager during the Uefa Cup run, will return to lead the team with Ian Culverhouse, Terry Postle and Tim Sheppard all part of his backroom team for the prestige exhibition.
• Tickets are £9.93 for adults and £1.93 for U18s and are available at tickets.canaries.co.uk, by phone on 0844 826 1902 or from the ticket offices at Carrow Road, Castle Mall or Chapelfield.
• Find out more information about the Build the Nest campaign at thenest.org.uk
• For all the players announced for the game, see our Build The Nest section