Luton Town’s victory over Norwich City revealed as greatest FA Cup giant-killing
- Credit: PA
Luton Town's 2013 FA Cup victory over Norwich City has been revealed as the greatest giant-killing of modern times in the competition.
The Hatters one goal win over the Canaries in the fourth road at Carrow Road came at a time when Norwich were 88 places above them in the football pyramid.
It was the first time in the Premier League era that a top division side was beaten by a non-League team thanks to an 80th minute goal by Scott Rendell.
The Giant Killers: A Search for the FA Cup's Ultimate Underdog analysed each of the last 25 seasons from the Third Round onwards and also showed that Luton have caused the biggest shocks in the competition in recent years knocking teams a staggering 233 places above them overall during the period.
In joint second stood Swansea City and Oldham Athletic, both with a combined giant killing score of 213.
The Latics are of course remembered for their infamous run in 2012/13 which saw them beat Liverpool and take Everton to a replay, while the Swans were punching well above their weight before joining the top flight - having seen off West Ham in 1999 when they were at the very foot of the Football League.
Other teams that made up the top 10 were Sheffield United, Cardiff City, Stevenage, Leyton Orient, Bolton Wanderers, Shrewsbury Town and Rochdale.
Norwich host Southampton in the third round of the FA Cup tomorrow.
- 1 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 2 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 3 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 4 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 5 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 6 Dash cams help police prosecute 400 drivers in a year
- 7 Warning to pet owners after chocolate dumped in seaside village
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 10 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?