Luton Town’s Jon Shaw remembers to take the Norwich City shirt off his old friend’s back
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Striker Jon Shaw got so wrapped up in celebrating Luton's famous FA Cup win at Carrow Road, he almost forgot one vital task – to pick up his good friend's shirt.
The 29-year-old's career has followed a similar trail of clubs to Norwich skipper Grant Holt since their time together at Sheffield Wednesday – and although Holt is now a Premier League player, it was is Shaw who has an FA Cup fifth round tie to look forward to.
'This is a moment we will never forget,' said Shaw, given a deserved rest with 15 minutes remaining – before the Hatters' three substitutes combined for their historic winner.
'When someone told me there was 10 seconds left the jumper came off, the shirt was back on and I was back out there trying to find everybody, see my family and see the fans – and I forgot about Grant Holt! I had to go back and get my shirt off him.
'I was hoping to get in and see Grant before I left. We've not seen each other in quite a long time, since he was at Shrewsbury and I was at Rochdale. But you never lose friends like that. What he's done in his career is the blueprint for any young player.'
You may also want to watch:
Luton have been high fliers in their not so recent past of course, but Shaw was not about to under play the size of their achievement at Carrow Road.
'We've gone down in the history books,' he added. 'When you're finished and someone asks what did you ever do in your career, most people don't have an answer. But now we have all got an answer. We have got a piece of history we can take away with us. Most of us have got shirts to prove it and I think everyone will have the match video of it.'
- 1 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 2 Man and woman found dead in home
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 6 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 7 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 8 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 9 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 10 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes