Loan watch: Difficult Doncaster debut for Norwich City goalkeeper Remi Matthews
- Credit: Archant
Remi Matthews endured a difficult loan debut for Doncaster Rovers in a loss to League One relegation rivals Colchester United.
The young Norwich City goalkeeper looked set for a winning start to his spell at the Keepmoat Stadium when a goal from fellow new signing Gary McSheffrey sent Rovers into half-time with a 1-0 lead.
However a horrendous second-half performance from his outfield colleagues, conceding four goals in 25 minutes, saw the match finish in a 4-1 defeat.
Doncaster became the first team to lose at the Weston Homes Community Stadium in the league since October. The Gorleston-born 22-year-old will hope for better fortune when Blackpool travel to South Yorkshire today, with Rovers knowing victory could lift them out of the relegation zone.
City striker Jamar Loza was also on the wrong end of a 4-1 defeat in the third tier, coming on in the 63rd minute as Southend were well beaten at Rochdale, with Canaries legend Grant Holt on target for the hosts.
You may also want to watch:
The 21-year-old has featured as a substitute six times since joining Phil Brown's side until the end of the season. The Jamaica international will hope to get a chance to go in search for his first goal of his second spell with the Essex club when the Shrimpers host Sheffield United on Wednesday night.
There was limited action for Canaries players on international duty.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 6 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 7 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 8 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 9 Old Buckenham Airshow going ahead as planned this weekend
- 10 Firefighters tackling smoking car after crash near pub
Sebastien Bassong was an unused substitute as Cameroon were held to a 2-2 draw at home by South Africa in African Cup of Nations qualifying on Saturday. The reverse fixture will be played in Durban tomorrow (6pm). Dieumerci Mbokani was also unused as DR of Congo beat Angola 2-1 in Kinshasa. The reverse fixture is also tomorrow, at 4pm.
Harry Toffolo played the full match as England Under-20s lost 2-1 to Canada in a friendly in Doncaster yesterday but James Maddison was denied his debut after picking up an injury.
Academy defender Joe Crowe completed his second 90 minutes in three days with Northern Ireland U19s, as a 2-1 loss in Poland was followed up by a 1-0 defeat to the Netherlands on Saturday.