STARTING XIs: City make three changes for Leeds battle
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Daniel Farke has made three changes to his starting XI for this afternoon's Premier League battle with Leeds United at Carrow Road (2pm kick-off).
It's a move to a 3-4-3 formation but with the surprise of Milot Rashica being deployed as a left wing-back just behind Kieran Dowell, with Dimitris Giannoulis and Pierre Lees-Melou dropping to the bench.
Norwich go into the game bottom and with just two points from nine games, with the Carrow Road faithful expecting to see a response following a 7-0 collapse at Chelsea last weekend.
The visitors arrive with seven points but just one win in their last seven matches, after a slow start to trying to build on finishing ninth in their first season since promotion.
Centre-back Ben Gibson misses the game as he serves a one-game ban after being sent off during the defeat at Chelsea, for picking up two yellow cards. Andrew Omobamidele comes into the back three as expected.
Dowell and Omobamidele last started a league game at Arsenal last month, during the 1-0 defeat, and Rashica's last start was the 3-1 home defeat to Watford the following weekend.
Billy Gilmour is available again after being ineligible against his parent club but is on the bench again, with Przemyslaw Placheta also among the substitutes for the first team this season.
- 1 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 2 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 3 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 4 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development
- 7 Man who survived motorcycle crash died from Covid, inquest told
- 8 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 9 Seven of the oldest Norfolk businesses
- 10 Hot tub wrecked after car smashes through garden wall from Wilkos car park
City boss Daniel Farke said Todd Cantwell would again not be involved, after missing a couple of games with a back issue after appearing for the under-23s, after previously saying the midfielder needed to prove he could train consistently.
Christoph Zimmermann had ankle surgery this week and may miss the remainder of 2021 as he recovers but Sam Byram continues to train fully as he closes on a return from over 18 months on the sidelines after two hamstring operations.
Leeds are set to be without striker Patrick Bamford for a fifth game with an ankle injury but England midfielder Kalvin Phillips returned to action as he started the 2-0 defeat at Arsenal in the League Cup on Tuesday.
Phillis is the only change to the Whites' XI from their 1-1 home draw with Wolves last weekend, with Mateusz Klich dropping to the bench.
Star winger Raphinhais has shaken off a knock picked up during the midweek game, as expected.
Junior Firpo returned to under-23 action on Friday so isn't involved, with defenders Luke Ayling and Robin Koch still unavailable due to injury.
NORWICH (3-4-3): Krul; Omobamidele, Hanley (C), Kabak; Aarons, Normann, McLean, Rashica; Sargent, Pukki, Dowell. Subs: Gunn (GK), Giannoulis, Williams, Rupp, Gilmour, Lees-Melou, Placheta, Tzolis, Idah
LEEDS (4-2-3-1): Meslier; Shackleton, Llorente, Cooper (C), Dallas; Phillips, Strujik; Raphinha, James, Harrison; Rodrigo. Subs: Klaesson (GK), Cresswell, Hjelde, Drameh, Klich, Forshaw, Summerville, Roberts, Gelhardt
REFEREE: Anthony Taylor
VAR: Darren England
- You can follow all of today's updates from Carrow Road in our NCFC Live blog