Life is good for Norwich City keeper Michael McGovern
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City keeper Michael McGovern is savouring the football ride of his life.
The Northern Ireland international is preparing for a Belfast homecoming this weekend in a World Cup qualifier against San Marino as his country's undisputed number one following his fairytale exploits at Euro 2016.
McGovern's stellar form in France earned him a move to Carrow Road where he has dislodged John Ruddy in the Canaries' rise to second in the Championship.
'I always felt I had the ability but you need people to give you a chance,' he said. 'Michael O'Neill gave me a chance at Northern Ireland and Alex Neil in the Premiership in Scotland and now down here. Over the last couple of years I have got the opportunity to play for the national team, which is a big plus, and that has helped me to really kick on.
'I got asked after the Euros did it give you so much belief and things were just sinking in at that stage but looking back now to play for my country in the Euros under the microscope and the pressure of that against the level of opposition we face I think it probably doesn't get much tougher than that. So for me if I can perform in that environment and handle the occasion almost more than anything else I have no fears.'
McGovern rejected interest from the Premier League to join City's promotion crusade.
'There was interest at that level but I didn't see my chances of playing being all that high,' he said. 'I had more chance of playing in a Championship club, even though you are up against top keepers but if you want to play at this level you have to accept that challenge and meet it head on. It was nice to be wanted and nice to have interest. With having worked with the manager before that was a big sway, plus Norwich is a big club looking to get promotion back up to the Premier League. I just thought it was the right move for me.'
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 3 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 4 Seven Sprowston neighbours scoop £30,000 lottery win
- 5 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
- 6 Asteroid bigger than any building on Earth to be visible in Norfolk skies
- 7 Should cars be banned from Norwich's steepest hill?
- 8 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes
- 9 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 10 Council to sell land in 'Chelsea-on-Sea'