Leicester U23s 3 Norwich City U23s 0 – Marshall features again as young Canaries suffer PL Cup defeat
- Credit: Archant
Fortune was not on Norwich City Under-23s' side during a difficult start to this season's Premier League Cup campaign away to Leicester City.
The young Canaries were beaten 3-0 in their Group D opener, at the Premier League club's Holmes Park training ground on Friday night, with first-team player Ben Marshall coming off at half-time as he stepped up his recovery from illness.
Uche Rubio headed home for the Foxes after six minutes as the visitors failed to clear a corner, squeezing the ball in off the post from close range.
Alfie Payne lost possession in midfield in the 18th minute and then was unfortunate to see Tyrese Shade's shot from the edge of the box deflect off him and loop over Jon McCracken as the hosts doubled their lead.
Simon Power hit the post midway through the second half for City but centre-back Ciaren Jones swiped at a clearance in injury-time to fire a spectacular own goal in off the post.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Gill's squad are back in action on Monday, October 22, when they travel to Stoke City for a 7pm kick-off at the Potters' training ground in Premier League Two.
Nottingham Forest and Exeter City are the other teams in Group D of the PL Cup, with the teams playing each other home and away, with the top two from each group going through to the knockout stages.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 5 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 9 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 10 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
Norwich U23s starting XI: McCracken; Marshall (Kamal 46), Odusina, Jones, Richards; Power, Payne, Aransibia, Scully; Milovanovic; Idah