Premier League Foxes emerge as lead contenders to complete £20m City signing
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Leicester City are pushing to close a £20m-plus deal to sign prized Norwich City asset James Maddison.
The Canaries' 21-year-old player of the season and England Under-21 international has been the subject of speculation for much of the year, while City's financial situation as they adjust to life without Premier League parachute payments has emphasised their need to recoup millions of pounds.
The 2016 Premier League champions are believed to have earmarked Maddison as the leading contender to fill the sizeable boots of Riyad Mahrez, who is closing in on his own reported £60m move to last season's runaway English champions Manchester City.
The Foxes have also been linked with Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish, while Everton's name has since popped up on the rumour mill of Maddison suitors.
Whatever the eventual fee City earn for their former Coventry talent, it would almost certainly be paid in instalments – with the Sky Blues due a sell-on payment on Norwich's profit from the original £3m fee they paid back in February 2016.
You may also want to watch:
• For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 4 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
- 10 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls