Premier League Foxes emerge as lead contenders to complete £20m City signing
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Leicester City are pushing to close a £20m-plus deal to sign prized Norwich City asset James Maddison.
The Canaries' 21-year-old player of the season and England Under-21 international has been the subject of speculation for much of the year, while City's financial situation as they adjust to life without Premier League parachute payments has emphasised their need to recoup millions of pounds.
The 2016 Premier League champions are believed to have earmarked Maddison as the leading contender to fill the sizeable boots of Riyad Mahrez, who is closing in on his own reported £60m move to last season's runaway English champions Manchester City.
The Foxes have also been linked with Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish, while Everton's name has since popped up on the rumour mill of Maddison suitors.
Whatever the eventual fee City earn for their former Coventry talent, it would almost certainly be paid in instalments – with the Sky Blues due a sell-on payment on Norwich's profit from the original £3m fee they paid back in February 2016.
• For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 3 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
- 4 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 5 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 6 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 7 Seven of the best locations for a minibreak staycation in Norfolk
- 8 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 9 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast
- 10 Taxi driver hopes to be named Miss Voluptuous UK