‘I know the Italians will not want to lose’ – Legendary Norwich City boss will return to face Inter again
- Credit: Archant
He led Norwich City on their European adventure and now Mike Walker is returning to Carrow Road to try and gain revenge against Inter Milan.
The former Canaries boss has confirmed he will be returning for the fund-raising legends fixture against Inter Forever on Sunday, May 20 (2pm kick-off).
Now aged 72 and living in Cyprus, the man who led City to a highest-ever finish of third in the top flight in 1993 will be returning for the exhibition game, which is helping to raise £2.5million for the Community Sports Foundation's new hub, The Nest.
'To come back and be in charge once again on the touchline will be fantastic,' said Walker. 'It will be great to get a good crowd from a charitable point of view but also to remember the run and see lots of City heroes once again.
'I haven't been back (to Norwich) recently. The last time I was at Carrow Road was quite a while ago.'
Walker will be assisted in a non-playing role by legendary defender Ian Culverhouse, who was part of the 1993-94 Uefa Cup squad before returning as assistant under Paul Lambert between 2009 and 2012 – and who is stepping down as King's Lynn Town manager this summer.
Also being reunited with Walker are two members of his former backroom staff, kit manager Terry Postle and team physiotherapist Tim Sheppard.
The Canaries Legends squad includes Bryan Gunn, Chris Sutton, Darren Huckerby and Grant Holt, while Inter Forever will have Jurgen Klinsmann, Javier Zanetti and Maicon in their line-up.
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 4 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 5 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 6 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 7 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 8 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 9 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 10 Multiple fire crews tackle farm blaze overnight
'Any time you play Inter Milan is tough,' Walker added. 'They've announced some brilliant players – Klinsmann, Materazzi, Toldo and more – so it will be a very good test for us.
'It's not just a charity match; I hope that everybody takes it quite seriously. I'm sure our guys will give it their all and I know the Italians will not want to lose. Hopefully we can put on a good show for the fans that turn up.'
• Tickets are £9.93 for adults and £1.93 for U18s and are available at tickets.canaries.co.uk, by phone on 0844 826 1902 or from the ticket offices at Carrow Road, Castle Mall or Chapelfield.
• Find out more about the Build the Nest campaign at thenest.org.uk.