‘I know the Italians will not want to lose’ – Legendary Norwich City boss will return to face Inter again
- Credit: Archant
He led Norwich City on their European adventure and now Mike Walker is returning to Carrow Road to try and gain revenge against Inter Milan.
The former Canaries boss has confirmed he will be returning for the fund-raising legends fixture against Inter Forever on Sunday, May 20 (2pm kick-off).
Now aged 72 and living in Cyprus, the man who led City to a highest-ever finish of third in the top flight in 1993 will be returning for the exhibition game, which is helping to raise £2.5million for the Community Sports Foundation's new hub, The Nest.
'To come back and be in charge once again on the touchline will be fantastic,' said Walker. 'It will be great to get a good crowd from a charitable point of view but also to remember the run and see lots of City heroes once again.
'I haven't been back (to Norwich) recently. The last time I was at Carrow Road was quite a while ago.'
Walker will be assisted in a non-playing role by legendary defender Ian Culverhouse, who was part of the 1993-94 Uefa Cup squad before returning as assistant under Paul Lambert between 2009 and 2012 – and who is stepping down as King's Lynn Town manager this summer.
You may also want to watch:
Also being reunited with Walker are two members of his former backroom staff, kit manager Terry Postle and team physiotherapist Tim Sheppard.
The Canaries Legends squad includes Bryan Gunn, Chris Sutton, Darren Huckerby and Grant Holt, while Inter Forever will have Jurgen Klinsmann, Javier Zanetti and Maicon in their line-up.
- 1 Family of missing man informed after body found near lake
- 2 Photos show RAF centre being visited by ‘beast’ of an aircraft
- 3 Chef to reopen major hotel that closed amid financial woes
- 4 Couple who drove from Hull to Norfolk for a walk among lockdown breakers
- 5 Coronavirus: How busy are our local hospitals?
- 6 Revealed: how many people have had the Covid-19 vaccine where you live
- 7 Emma Thompson and Peaky Blinders actor to star in new film shot in Norwich
- 8 Burglars cut hole in fence to steal Labrador from kennel
- 9 Customers slam boss of axed music festival over refusal to refund deposits
- 10 'Unsatisfactory and dangerous situation' - Man frustrated by unlit roadwork
'Any time you play Inter Milan is tough,' Walker added. 'They've announced some brilliant players – Klinsmann, Materazzi, Toldo and more – so it will be a very good test for us.
'It's not just a charity match; I hope that everybody takes it quite seriously. I'm sure our guys will give it their all and I know the Italians will not want to lose. Hopefully we can put on a good show for the fans that turn up.'
• Tickets are £9.93 for adults and £1.93 for U18s and are available at tickets.canaries.co.uk, by phone on 0844 826 1902 or from the ticket offices at Carrow Road, Castle Mall or Chapelfield.
• Find out more about the Build the Nest campaign at thenest.org.uk.