Lambert banned – but can still give team talks

Paul Lambert will watch Sunday's derby clash against Ipswich from the stands – but will still be able to deliver his usual pre-match and half-time team talks.

The Canaries boss was yesterday banned from the touchline for two games – the weekend clash and the trip to Derby County the following Saturday – and fined �2,500.

Lambert had admitted an improper conduct charge but asked to be allowed to address an FA Regulatory Commission hearing at their Wembley HQ yesterday.

The charge related to his language and behaviour towards match officials following City's match at Reading on 13 November.

Lambert had already seen striker Grant Holt sent off just before half-time with City leading 3-1 – and as the game came to a close, with Reading having hauled it back to 3-3, he was sent to the stands by referee Michael Oliver after leaving his technical area.

But it was his reaction post-match in the tunnel area which landed him in trouble.

The Holt red card was later rescinded by the FA on appeal, but Lambert opted to admit his own charge, knowing that he faced more than the minimum punishment: the Scot was fined and warned as to his future conduct in his last game as Colchester boss in August 2009, and incurred a one-game ban in April following City's defeat at Tranmere.

Most Read

Lambert's ban comes into effect immediately, but the good news for City fans is that he will still be allowed to speak to his players in the dressing room before kick-off at each game and he will be allowed back in at half-time.

It is only while the game is in progress that he is banned from the touchline – although he is allowed telephone contact with his bench.

It's his presence at half-time which could prove important: although Lambert refuses to take credit for them, City have produced two big turn-arounds in recent weeks, having trailed at the interval.

Last weekend they were a goal down and playing second fiddle to Leeds, but recovered to draw a game they could have won.

Against Burnley a fortnight earlier they trailed Burnley 2-0, but fought back for a 2-2 draw.