Kyle Lafferty’s move to Sion breaks down
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich striker Kyle Lafferty is facing more transfer frustration after a return to Sion broke down.
The Swiss club had made a move to take the Northern Ireland international on loan until the end of the season, Press Association Sport understands.
But Lafferty is keen to stay in England ahead of Euro 2016 and now faces a race against time to secure a move away from Carrow Road before Monday's transfer deadline.
The 28-year-old made 25 appearances for Sion, scoring five times, between 2012 and 2013 after leaving Rangers and before joining Palermo.
A deadline-day move remains a possibility but Lafferty must leave Norwich on Monday or be forced to rely on a temporary switch when the loan window reopens next week.
It would be a blow to the former Burnley man who wants to be in top shape for Northern Ireland's first-ever European Championship campaign after scoring seven goals in qualifying.
Wolves held an interest and Leeds have tried to bring him to Elland Road this month but failed to agree a deal with Norwich. The Canaries are ideally looking to sell the striker rather than loan him out.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 Two men arrested after fire caused by disposable BBQ at country park
- 5 Plans for roundabout at accident blackspot set for submission
- 6 Holidaymakers face further severe TUI delays from Norwich
- 7 Elizabethan manor house with 20 acres and a pool on sale for £2.75m
- 8 Man who rushed to help woman stabbed in city park feared she might die
- 9 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 10 Stunning drone shots capture high tide in Wells
Lafferty has made just three substitute appearances for City this season, scoring once, and has been pushed further down the pecking order by the arrivals of Steven Naismith and Patrick Bamford, who joined on loan from Chelsea on Saturday.
He joined the Canaries in 2014 and scored once in 20 games before joining Turkish side Rizespor on loan in the second half of last season.