Josh Murphy goals ensures U21 Elite Group place as Norwich City youngsters beat Wolves 1-0
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's youngsters secured a top-half finish in the Under-21s Premier League last night – and with it a spot in next season's Elite Group.
They took on Wolves at New Buck's Head knowing a win was required – and duly returned with all three points as a second half goal from Josh Murphy proved decisive.
City had their chances in the opening period, with Murphy and Carlton Morris both going close, but the hosts also had their moments and it required a good save from keeper Remi Matthews to keep the Canaries on level terms.
There was everything to play for as the second period got under way and Jerry Gill's side made a flying start, taking the lead in the 50th minute as Murphy gave another glimpse of his talent.
The young wide man picked up the ball outside the box and let fly with a powerful shot that beat the keeper to his left.
The visitors might have stretched their lead when Elliott Bennett, continuing his comeback from injury, delivered an excellent cross for Michee Efete but the substitute's header was blocked.
Wolves applied some pressure after that but the City defence held firm and the visitors could celebrate an important victory.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 3 Seven Sprowston neighbours scoop £30,000 lottery win
- 4 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 5 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
- 6 Asteroid bigger than any building on Earth to be visible in Norfolk skies
- 7 Should cars be banned from Norwich's steepest hill?
- 8 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes
- 9 Car boot sale to return after five years with up to 200 pitches
- 10 Council to sell land in 'Chelsea-on-Sea'
Another positive for the Canaries was the sight of Bennett coming through another match with no apparent problems following his long spell on the sidelines with a knee injury.
City starting line-up: Matthews, McNeil, McFadden, Gafaiti, Awuah, Grant, E Bennett, Norman, Hall-Johnson, Josh Murphy, Morris.