Injury latest: Canaries confirm Rhodes diagnosis following Luton withdrawal
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
The news was good for Norwich City after scans confirmed on-loan striker Jordan Rhodes will be fit for the start of the new season.
Moments after Rhodes had scored from the penalty spot, the 28-year-old limped out of Wednesday's 3-1 win at Luton after a 20th-minute block tackle with Jack Senior.
Scans were due on Thursday, with the Canaries confirming on Friday lunchtime Rhodes will miss Saturday's friendly at Charlton, but should be ready to face Birmingham on August 4.
Having joined for the season on loan from Championship rivals Sheffield Wednesday earlier this month, Rhodes' injury represents Daniel Farke's biggest blow in what has otherwise been a productive and relatively obstacle-free pre-season.
City wrap up their preparations at League One promotion hopefuls Charlton on Saturday (3pm) before kicking off their Championship campaign at Birmingham the following weekend.
Head coach Daniel Farke said: 'It's some good news with Jordan as the scan has confirmed only a minor ligament injury in his ankle.
'He will miss the game against Charlton on Saturday but should be ok to join training next week and hopefully be available for the Birmingham game.'
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 3 Men fined more than £600 for fishing illegally
- 4 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 5 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 6 9 of the best campsites on the Norfolk coast
- 7 The best places to eat in north Norfolk according to The Good Food Guide
- 8 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 9 Factory worker was found dead at home, court told
- 10 Norwich man wins jackpot on BBC game show Pointless
There was better news for City on fellow summer signing Teemu Pukki, after Farke confirmed the forward will be fit to be included in the squad for the final friendly at Charlton after he also picked up a minor knock against Luton.
The former Brondby forward had been on the end of a robust challenge that forced his second-half departure at Kenilworth Road.
However, it remains to be seen whether Friday's news will mean a recall to public duty for out of favour Nelson Oliveira.
The Portuguese striker has been training at Colney but is yet to feature for a single minute of City's pre-season schedule – either for the first team or Under-23s – with Oliveira's future apparently lying away from Carrow Road once the current transfer window finally closes across Europe, on August 31.
• For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…