John Ruddy set to join Norwich City’s 100 club
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Saturday will be a landmark occasion for John Ruddy, with the England goalkeeper set to rack up a century of Norwich City appearances at Hull.
The 26-year-old glovesman, who joined the Canaries from Everton in the summer of 2010, made it 99 outings in yellow and green on the opening weekend of the Premier League season – coincidentally against his former club.
Indeed, but for undergoing thigh surgery after a nasty injury sustained at Goodison Park in November, Ruddy would have joined City's century club much sooner.
However, given notable interest from Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho in signing the Norwich number one during the close season, there can also be a sense of enjoyment in Ruddy still being part of the Carrow Road furniture.
Barring any hiccups, Ruddy's 100th outing at the KC Stadium on Saturday will see him become the 10th post-war City goalkeeper to reach the century landmark – notable given his first seven seasons as a professional saw him make 137 appearances across 11 clubs.
A full season of action would see Ruddy up into City's goalkeeping top 10 appearance makers, to join his Championship promotion and England cap. However, the man from St Ives will still have some way to go should he want to challenge some of City's longest serving stalwarts.
Keeper Kevin Keelan appears untouchable at the top of the pile with 673 appearances that spanned 17 years at the club – also making him City's leading appearance maker regardless of position.
- 1 Murder jury hears how 'angry' father ran over teenage daughter
- 2 Person injured and road blocked after north Norfolk crash
- 3 Screams of daughter run over by her dad heard by murder jury
- 4 Most desirable places to live in Norfolk according to estate agents
- 5 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 6 Revealed: The most isolated neighbourhoods in Norfolk
- 7 Festival-goers 'in the dark' over refunds following cancellation
- 8 New sites for gypsies and travellers proposed in Norwich area
- 9 Sign of the times: After 187 years jeweller Winsor Bishop changes name
- 10 Couple who transformed old mill into unique new home put it up for sale
• NORWICH CITY'S GOALKEEPING STALWARTS
Kevin Keelan (1963-80) 673
Bryan Gunn (1986-98) 477
Ken Nethercott (1947-59) 416
Chris Woods (1981-86) 267
Sandy Kennon (1959-64) 255
Robert Green (1999-2006) 241
Andy Marshall (1994-2001) 217
Charles Dennington (1922-29) 209
Ken Oxford (1953-57) 136
Harry Dukes (1934-46) 124
Robert Beale (1908-12) 111
Clarence Wharton (1931-35) 109
David Marshall (2006-09) 105
John Ruddy (2010-present) 100*
*assuming Ruddy plays at Hull on Saturday