John Ruddy’s Premier League ambition with Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
John Ruddy is convinced he is Premier League-class - and the Norwich City keeper aims to prove it over the fraught Championship run-in.
The Canaries' stopper is the only ever-present this season during City's bid to plot an instant top flight return.
Ruddy still harbours international ambitions, after earning England honours during Norwich's previous three-year stint in the big time, but the 28-year-old's immediate priority is helping Alex Neil's squad over the finishing line.
'I feel I am a Premier League player, I feel I am good enough and every player in that changing room feels the same,' he said. 'Every player wants to be there, regardless of any international ambitions you might have.
'I think we kept our core squad of quality players and added quality. We went into the market and brought in quality for the level we are at. I have seen that desire from the lads to get back there for a number of months. We have a great chance to do that but it's up to us now.'
Seb Bassong has also emerged as a key figure in Norwich's promotion bid after Neil ended his Carrow Road exile.
'Playing in the Championship is a lot different to the Premier League. From game-to-game it is a totally different world,' he said. 'It has been hard to adapt to the Championship when I first started, in terms of the rhythm of the game, because I didn't have a proper pre-season. Some players fit the Premier League but can't do it in the Championship and vice versa. That is why it is not easy to get out of this league and why some teams have struggled and others are better suited to it. I think here at Norwich we have both, we have players who have played in the Premier League but can also adapt to the Championship which is why we are in with a chance now.'
- 1 Norfolk deli owner suffers severe spinal injuries in Ibiza diving accident
- 2 Revealed: Where dangerous parasite has been reported in Norfolk
- 3 Driver died in crash with tractor after misjudging corner on rural road
- 4 Possible foot and mouth disease case investigated at pig farm
- 5 Train evacuated after hitting horse on Norwich to Diss line
- 6 Care home which has sat empty for four years to be revived by new owners
- 7 Highways bosses reveal when A47 dualling work will start
- 8 7 dogs looking for new homes in Norfolk
- 9 Traffic delays after car plunges into underpass in Yarmouth
- 10 Bid to build five industrial units in Norfolk village