Jacob Murphy makes debut as England Under-21s lose in Germany
- Credit: AP
Norwich City youngster Jacob Murphy made his debut for England Under-21s in Friday night's friendly against Germany in Wiesbaden.
Murphy started the game and played for the full 90 minutes as Aidy Bothroyd's side suffered a 1-0 defeat England were outclassed in a friendly defeat by Germany in Wiesbaden as preparation for this summer's European Under-21 Championship continued.
Nadiem Amiri's first half strike from the edge of the box settled the issue - and the hosts could easily have won by a bigger margin after dominating the match for long periods.
England's best chance fell to Alfie Mawson, but the Swansea defender's weak shot was easily saved after Nathaniel Chalobah had sliced his volley.
Jack Stephens could also have levelled, but Julian Pollersbeck denied him with a smart save.
You may also want to watch:
The Southampton defender then latched on to a deep free-kick inside the area late on, only to miscue his attempt.
However, it was the hosts who dominated possession, with Wolfsburg midfielder Max Arnold - capped at senior level by Germany - impressing before he was substituted.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 3 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 4 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 7 Concern raised over work on anaerobic digestion plant on outskirts of village
- 8 A11 to undergo 18 months of roadworks
- 9 Can you spot yourself at Let's Rock Norwich?
- 10 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
The 22-year-old went close to doubling the lead before the break with a long-range effort that Sunderland keeper Jordan Pickford was glad to see drift wide.
Pickford gave an assured performance after conceding the goal, saving well on several occasions to keep the deficit at one.
There could be another chance for Murphy to impres on Monday when Boothroyd's side travel to Denmark for another friendly. .
England kick-off their European Under-21 Championship Finals campaign against holders Sweden on June 16, with Slovakia and hosts Poland also in their group.