Injury worry for Michael McGovern could force Norwich City into goalkeeper switch
- Credit: PA
Debate about which goalkeeper should start for Norwich City at Queens Park Rangers on Saturday may prove redundant, after Michael McGovern returned from international duty early to have an injury assessed.
The 32-year-old played all of Northern Ireland's 4-0 World Cup qualifying win over Azerbaijan in Belfast on Friday night – in which City striker Kyle Lafferty scored the opener – but travelled back to Norfolk at the weekend.
His international boss, Michael O'Neill, confirmed only that McGovern needed to 'get an injection' when revealing the keeper would miss tonight's friendly against Croatia at Windsor Park – with what is understood to be a knee problem.
Since joining the Canaries on a free transfer from Hamilton in the summer, McGovern has made 15 appearances for City, keeping hold of the keeper's jersey since coming on to replace the injured John Ruddy in a 0-0 home draw with Sheffield Wednesday in August.
Having conceded 11 goals in his last four games however, some Canaries fans are now calling for long-serving Ruddy to be reinstated when Alex Neil's team return to Championship action at Loftus Road on Saturday afternoon.
City striker Kyle Lafferty remains with the Northern Ireland squad for the Croatia clash, having followed up his goal in the 3-2 loss to Leeds at Carrow Road with another in his country's victory over Azerbaijan.
That took the 29-year-old's tally for the season to five goals in 10 senior games, as he continues to try and force his way back into contention under Neil.
You may also want to watch:
The Scot could now be forced into a change in goal though, with Ruddy waiting in the wings hoping to add to his 218 appearances for the Canaries.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 6 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 9 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 10 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested