Injury problems mount for Everton ahead of clash with Canaries
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Everton’s injury problems have increased ahead of their Premier League trip to Norwich City later this month.
Former England and Arsenal forward Theo Walcott had an abdominal operation earlier this week after experiencing discomfort on his return to training following the coronavirus shutdown and will require at least a month of rehabilitation.
It’s a further blow to the Toffees before the restart with Colombia defender Yerry Mina potentially missing until the start of July with a torn thigh muscle and Ivory Coast international midfielder Jean-Philippe Gbamin facing months out with an Achilles injury picked up in training recently.
Everton’s first game back is the Merseyside derby on Sunday, June 21 (7pm), a game that could see their Liverpool clinch their first ever Premier League title. Then just three days later they travel to Norwich, who will have had 48 hours longer to recover from their opening game, at home to Southampton.
Portugal midfielder Andre Gomes also looks to be a doubt for the restart for Carlo Ancelotti’s side, as he picked up a knock in training as he made his way back from a long-term ankle injury, and is expected to resume training next week.
You may also want to watch:
The Toffees sit 12th and 10 points clear of the relegation zone and had lost 4-0 at Chelsea ahead of the season’s suspension, following a 1-1 home draw with Manchester United and a 3-2 loss at Arsenal.
- 1 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 2 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 3 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 6 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 7 Joy and relief as Latitude passes off successfully
- 8 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 9 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 10 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place