Injured Norwich City midfielder Nathan Redmond pulls out of England Under-21 duty
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City midfielder Nathan Redmond has had to pull out of the England Under-21s set-up with the ankle injury he suffered against Manchester City that also rules him out of the Canaries' crucial Premier League trip to West Brom.
City's Premier League top scorer hobbled off in the closing stages of the opening half in last weekend's 0-0 Carrow Road draw against the Citizens.
Alex Neil was hoping the midfielder had rolled his ankle but the Scot is expected to confirm the 22-year-old will miss Norwich's upcoming survival battles at his pre-match press call on Friday afternoon, ahead of the trip to the Hawthorns.
Young Lions' coach Gareth Southgate has revealed Redmond will not be available for next week's Uefa European U21 Championship qualifier against Switzerland in Thun.
Redmond is a key figure for Southgate after featuring for the Young Lions at the finals of the last two European U21 Championships.
You may also want to watch:
Southgate admits he has had to shuffle his pack for the upcoming tie with Redmond among a number of injury absentees. Leicester City's highly-rated left-back Ben Chilwell gets his first call-up.
'This has been a different challenge. Over the last 18 months we have had a really settled squad,' Southgate told thefa.com on Thursday morning. 'The first four camps of this campaign we have had a lot of new players to integrate, quite a few players who have stepped up to the first team and unfortunately we have lost quite a few players to injury.
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 4 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 5 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 6 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 7 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 8 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 9 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 10 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
'It's an opportunity for new players but also quite a lot of work for us to do to get the harmony within the group. This in an important opportunity for us with Nathaniel Chalobah and Nathan Redmond missing through injury, it is an opportunity for the lads to come in and show us what they can do. Nathan Redmond has been a key player for us and he is out.'
England go into the away game in Switzerland on March 26 three points clear at the top of Group nine, halfway into their eight-game qualification campaign.