Injured Norwich City defender Russell Martin ruled out of Scotland’s World Cup qualifier against Serbia
Norwich City defender Russell Martin will not feature for Scotland in their opening World Cup qualifier against Serbia at Hampden on Saturday after reporting for duty with an ankle injury.
Martin, who played 90 minutes in the Canaries' 1-1 draw at Tottenham, Southampton left-back Danny Fox and Celtic's Charlie Mulgrew all arrived at the Scots' Mar Hall base earlier this week with fitness problems.
Martin and Fox have now definitely been ruled out of the Scots' first step on the road to Rio 2014.
Assistant manager Peter Houston said on Monday: 'Danny Fox has a groin strain, Russell Martin has an ankle knock and Charlie Mulgrew's Achilles is still a bit sore. He missed Saturday's game for Celtic.
'The good thing is we have got a few days; sometimes injuries settle down after 48 hours. We'll keep everyone informed.'
You may also want to watch:
Besiktas goalkeeper Allan McGregor is confident of being fit after recovering from the groin strain that forced him off in the friendly win over Australia last month.
Wolves centre-back Christophe Berra was excused from turning up as he awaited the birth of his first child.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 4 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 5 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 6 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 7 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 8 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 10 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder