Ignasi Miquel to leave Norwich City after agreeing to end contract early
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Spanish defender Ignasi Miquel is to leave Norwich City after a mutual agreement was made to end his contract early.
The 22-year-old was signed from Arsenal during the reign of former Canaries manager Neil Adams last summer, when he was given a three-year deal with an option for a further 12 months.
Miquel made just two appearances for City though, both in cup competitions, and was included in the club's under-21s squad for a pre-season training camp in the Alps.
The Canaries have now revealed that the former Spain Under-21 international will leave the club when his contract expires on Friday, July 31.
Miquel joined for a fee reported to be around £1.5million on the final day of the summer transfer window in 2014 but only played in a shock 1-0 loss at Shrewsbury Town in the third round of the Capital One Cup and a disappointing 2-0 defeat at Preston in the third round of the FA Cup.
He made seven appearances for City's under-21 side but was rarely involved in the first-team squad but was given a chance by manager Alex Neil at the start of the current pre-season fixtures.
Miquel played the second half of a 7-0 win at non-league Gorleston and the final hour of a 3-1 win at Cambridge United, which was split into four quarters of 30 minutes.
- 1 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 4 Teenager died of injuries six days after crash
- 5 John Lewis CCTV footage leads to Norwich gun arrests
- 6 Norwich firm part of growing number of businesses working four day weeks
- 7 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 8 1920s bungalow up for sale in one of the Broads' most sought-after villages
- 9 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 10 A year on: Tributes to teacher who died following tumour diagnosis
The Spaniard then played the second half as the U21s beat SV Kirchdorf 7-0 on tour, as well as all of a 2-1 victory for the U21s against Turkish side Gaziantepspor, but is now set to leave.