Great Yarmouth hit back to see off 10-man Wroxham

Joel Watts opened the scoring at Walmer Road last night. Picture: David Hardy

Joel Watts opened the scoring at Walmer Road last night. Picture: David Hardy - Credit: Archant

Great Yarmouth Town recorded an excellent 3-1 win at recently relegated Wroxham in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division last night.

The dismissal of Adam Plumstead at the end of the first half saw the balance tip towards the Bloaters.

The first half was a tight affair in wet conditions and the Yachtsmen went head on 25 minutes when Payton Swatman's long range effort took a deflection and beat Josh Glover.

Things looked rosy for the hosts until Plumstead picked up two yellow cards, the first for a strong aerial challenge and the second for a coming together with a Yarmouth midfielder.

With a man advantage the Bloaters broke through on 63 minutes when Aaron Sanders turned Craig Bussens in the Wroxham area and fired home.

Further pressure told when, on 75 minutes, substitute Miles Palmer blasted past Will Viner and Joel Glover completed the scoring when he nutmegged Mark Shadrack and fired his shot through the legs of the keeper.

Gorleston maintained their bright start to season when they won 4-0 at Kirkley and Pakefield to make it three straight wins in league and cup.

Most Read

The Greens took control in the first half, with Joel Watts opening the scoring on 16 minutes and Mitch Mackay adding a second seven minutes before the break.

Mackay struck again on 58 minutes to end any hopes of a Royals' comeback and Ismael Fatadjo completed the scoring 10 minutes later.

Fakenham Town were thrashed 6-0 at Newmarket.

Elsewhere it was a big night for Norwich United stalwart Steve Shipley as the Planters entertained Cambridge City in his testimonial game.

It was an entertaining match, with the visitors battling back from 3-0 down to force a 3-3 draw.

Tim Henery scored on the stroke of half-time to put the hosts in front and they doubled their advantage two minutes after the break through Ben Lewis before Henery made it 3-0 just after the hour mark. Lewis Wilson pulled one back on 75 minutes and then scored twice in the final three minutes to complete his hat-trick.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter