Graham Dorrans is ready for a scrap at Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Graham Dorrans is braced for an epic fight to nail down his place in Norwich City's Premier League line-up.
The Scottish international has featured regularly during City's pre-season preparations, but the midfielder is taking nothing for granted ahead of Crystal Palace's opening day visit on August 8.
Dorrans played the full 90 minutes in the Canaries' first tour match against Maccabi Haifa – and he intends to keep it that way despite intense rivalry.
'Competition for places in midfield is fierce but frankly in the Premier League you need that because it is a tough league,' he said. 'The schedule is gruelling, we need a big squad, it's good, it's healthy and it keeps everyone on their toes and pushing hard. I don't see that as a bad thing.
'This is the league everyone wants to play. Of course it is. You want to test yourself in the highest level possible and the Premier League is one of the biggest in the world. The squad is buzzing and in good spirits because of the way we finished the season and we can hopefully take that into this season.'
You may also want to watch:
Dorrans and the rest of Neil's squad have trained in temperatures approaching 30C during their stay in the Alps, and the former West Brom schemer admits this time of the year is a necessary evil.
'No, it never gets any easier, pre-season, but it's been good, I've enjoyed it,' he said. 'The more you can do now, the longer you can last during the season, even if you are talking about that extra five or 10pc. It does feel like it has moved up a gear this week being out here.'
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Man in 20s drowned in country park lake
- 4 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 5 Norwich bar gets back licence after tearful appeal by owner
- 6 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 7 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 8 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 9 Shock as cleaner finds a snake in house
- 10 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way