Gary Rowett takes charge at Derby County - with Mark Warburton linked with Nottingham Forest, as Norwich City continue search for new manager
- Credit: PA
Gary Rowett has been appointed as manager of Derby County, the Sky Bet Championship club have announced.
Rowett, a former Burton and Birmingham boss, was named by many Norwich City fans as their favourite to replace Alex Neil - who was sacked on Friday.
He was the clear winner of an online poll of Canaries supporters by this newspaper shortly after Neil departed.
But Rowett became strongly linked with Derby, who sit one place below Norwich in 10th, after The Rams sacked Steve McClaren on Sunday.
And the Guardian is reporting this morning that former Rangers and Brentford manager Mark Warburton is sought by Nottingham Forest.
You may also want to watch:
Warburton was fourth in our poll, with bookmakers also linking him with the Carrow Road job.
On Rowett's appointment, Derby County chairman Mel Morris said: 'We are delighted to welcome Gary Rowett back to Derby County as our new manager.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 3 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 4 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 5 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 6 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 7 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 8 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 9 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 10 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
'Gary, of course, played for us for three years during his playing career, lives in Derby and is passionate about our football club.'
Rowett added: 'I feel that I have a special bond with the club having been here as a player.
'Living in the local area, I understand the expectation of the fanbase and it goes without saying that Derby County has fantastic and committed supporters.
'I have coached in the academy in the past so I know the values of the club and I am looking forward to sharing my experience and knowledge of the league with the staff and players.'