Gary Hooper urged to keep on plundering for Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's top scorer Gary Hooper has been urged to let his talented feet do the talking when it comes to launching a late England World Cup bid.
Hooper has rifled four Premier League goals in 11 appearances for the club since a summer move from Celtic and Canaries' boss Chris Hughton insisted on Thursday the 25-year-old can not be ignored if he maintains that prolific rate.
'Gary will know better than anyone it is what he does on the pitch on a regular basis that will get people talking about him,' he said. 'Not just with Gary but any player who wants international recognition will know it comes down to consistent form. You need to be playing well at this level. We are just delighted he is in our team and scoring goals and playing well. If you are talking about World Cups and what have you that is a bonus, but the most important thing is his club, but of course if he is an English striker scoring in the Premier League he will be mentioned.'
Hooper's sublime volley against Swansea last weekend earned plenty of headlines and underlined the striker is adapting well to new surroundings after leaving Glasgow.
'We said all along he had a difficult period with an injury so close to the start of the season that didn't help,' said Hughton. 'We're delighted with how hard he is working for the team but being a striker he will want to score goals and the Swansea goal was one to remember.
You may also want to watch:
'I know he is enjoying playing here in the Premier League. I've heard him say he is enjoying playing at some top venues and against top opponents.
'Gary very much appreciates what he has had before and Celtic was a wonderful experience, but it is not just about Gary. If we are going to score goals you have to provide the opportunities for him because he has that type of quality that we know he can score goals.'
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 7 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 Joy and relief as Latitude passes off successfully
- 10 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home