Galatasaray’s Johan Elmander close to Norwich City move
- Credit: PA
Chris Hughton is on the brink of another addition to his Norwich City strike force, with Johan Elmander set to complete a move to Carrow Road on Wednesday.
The 32-year-old former Bolton striker travelled to Norwich on Tuesday to put pen to paper on a move from Turkish champions Galatasaray.
'Norwich City have every moment to make a deal but anything can still happen,' said Elmander. 'I will never forget the Galatasaray supporters. The Galatasaray days I have spent have been wonderful and perfect whenever I put on a team shirt.'
Elmander missed Galatasaray's Süper Lig opener at home to Gaziantepspor on Monday, having been competing with the likes of Didier Drogba for a starting berth.
'I can confirm Johan's move to England,' Galatasaray technical director Bulent Tulun told Swedish paper SportExpressen.se 'We agreed with Johan, his new club Norwich and his agent Anders (Wallsten). We wish Johan the best of luck in the future.'
You may also want to watch:
Elmander scored 18 goals in 92 Premier League appearances for Bolton between 2008-11, while also notching 19 goals in 71 caps for Sweden.
While Galatasaray prepare to strengthen for their Champions League campaign, Elmander's arrival at City would mean Hughton could add the Swede to earlier summer additions Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Gary Hooper as his striking options, alongside the remaining figure Luciano Becchio.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 4 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 7 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Loan possibility remains for Skipp
Meanwhile, another City target is also said to have moved a step closer to playing in England – although his destination remains unclear.
Juventus striker Fabio Qualiarella has reportedly agreed a deal to join West Ham United, although the Hammers' hopes for a season's loan to precede a permanent move may not meet Juve's expectations.
It is also believed the move rests on Sam Allardyce being able to free some money by moving on a few fringe players.
Southampton, Sunderland and even a move to Qatar have all been mooted since last season – but City have led the chase for most of the summer.
And it is understood they may not have finished with their bid to lure the 30-year-old to Norfolk over the coming days.