Fulham end Norwich City’s cup dreams
Fulham Under-18s 3, Norwich City Under-18s 0: A goal in the first half was followed by two after the break as City's Academy side exited the FA Youth Cup at the fourth round stage at Craven Cottage on Friday night.
Coach Ricky Martin was without the services of Jed Steer, who was called up to Paul Lambert's first team squad for today's clash with Cardiff following Declan Rudd's jaw injury.
It was the home side who held the upper hand for the majority of the first half and it needed a good save from Remi Matthews to deny Ronnie Minkwitz on the quarter hour mark, while three minutes later a goaline clearance from Remy Gordon thwarted Brister.
The home side opened their account on 23 minutes when Alex Brister picked up a poor clearance to fire the ball into the bottom corner.
Ten minutes later Jack Werndley fired over from a good position while on the stroke of half-time, after a good run from Ryan Oakley, Sam Kelly saw a shot blocked by the Fulham keeper.
City had a couple of early second half free-kicks, with Matthew Ball seeing his effort blocked while Gordon saw his shot saved by the Fulham keeper. With 69 minutes gone Fulham doubled their advantage when Kerim Frei had a simple tap in from inside the six yard box and seven minutes later the game was put beyond City's reach when Marcello Trotta sent in a shot that went in off the inside of the post.
• City: Matthews, Barker, Toffolo (Stephens, 78), Brindley, Jones, Gordon, Oakley, Dobbs, Werndley, Ball, Kelly (Loza, 45). Subs not used: Hewitt, Florence, Hall-Johnson.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 3 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 4 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 5 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 6 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 7 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 8 Tucked-away house in same family for over 100 years up for sale
- 9 Elderly driver taken to hospital after village green crash
- 10 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes