Fry seeks ‘sensible’ money for Lewis

Peterborough's former Norwich academy prospect Joe Lewis insists the London Road return of Darren Ferguson will have no bearing on his desire to play top flight football.

Posh director of football Barry Fry revealed the club had already rejected a bid from Aston Villa, labelled as an 'insult', along with two further Premier League offers following Lewis's transfer request on Tuesday.

City could be entitled to a sell on fee after offloading the 23-year-old for a initial deal in the region of �400,000 back in January 2008. Ferguson recruited Lewis during his first successful Peterborough stint that brought consecutive promotions, but the Broome-born stopper is adamant he wants a chance to prove himself on a bigger stage.

'Yes. If it's the right move for me,' he said. 'I'm not desperate to leave Peterborough – that wasn't my reason for handing in a request. My reason is to better myself at the highest level I feel I can play. I'm massively grateful for everything Peterborough have done for me.

'I spoke to the chairman and Barry and they were good enough to accept my request. I gave my reasons. I feel I have given three good years of service at the club and I just want the club to know that while I appreciate everything they have done if the opportunity arises to better myself and my career then they would allow me to do that. I sat down with them and they completely understood. They were fantastic about it and I appreciated their co-operation.'

Fry reiterated the club's prized asset will not be sold on the cheap.

'The bid from Villa was an insult. They offered less than what we paid for him,' he said. 'Are they crazy? The boy has been away with England, he's played for the Under-21s and has played 150 games for us.

Most Read

'If they come back with a sensible offer we will let him go. If not he will stay here. Since then I've had two more bids from Premier League clubs which we have rejected. I've no problem with Joe, he has asked for a transfer which I understand but we need to see some sensible money.'

Posh turned down a �2m bid from an unamed Premier League suitor during the 2008/09 season for Lewis, who had previously been linked with Everton and Tottenham.

'I've heard whispers about other clubs being after me and I think there is,' he said. 'There has been offers come in which weren't enough so until I am told otherwise and the club accept an offer which is a good deal for them then they have said they would let me go – but it has to be the right club. I don't just want to go anywhere. I want to improve myself.

'At the moment I'm a player here and while that is the case I will give 100pc on the pitch. Until told otherwise I am a Peterborough player.'

Lewis helped Peterborough beat Brentford 2-1 at London Road on Tuesday night to keep Posh firmly in the League One play-off picture just hours after his transfer request was made public.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter