Former Norwich City winger Charlie Crickmore dies, aged 76

Former Norwich City winger Charlie Crickmore has died, aged 76. Picture: Archant Library

Former Norwich City winger Charlie Crickmore has died, aged 76. Picture: Archant Library - Credit: Archant Library

Former Norwich City winger Charlie Crickmore, who played for the club in the late 1960s, has died at the age of 76.

A dashing figure on the left flank, Crickmore made a total of 64 appearances for the Canaries over three seasons, and scored a highly respectable 10 goals while setting up many more.

He started his career with his home club of Hull City, making his debut in 1959 and going on to play 58 times for the Tigers before moving on in 1962.

He then had spells with Bournemouth, Gillingham and Rotherham before being snapped up by City manager Lol Morgan in January 1968 to replace Mike Kenning, who had just left to join Wolves.

Crickmore made his debut in a 1-0 defeat at Portsmouth on January 20 and ended up making 14 appearances and scoring twice as City finished ninth in the old Division Two.

A further 31 appearances and five goals followed in 1968-69 when the Canaries finished 13th and he played 19 more times in 1969-70, scoring three more times, before moving on.

One of those goals came against Ipswich Town in a League Cup second round victory at Portman Road, scoring a penalty in a 4-2 victory, in which Hugh Curran scored a hat-trick.

Most Read

His final appearance in a season which ended in another mid-table finish came in a 2-0 defeat at Swindon Town on November 1, 1969.

Crickmore left City in March 1970 - by which time Ron Saunders had taken over as manager - to join Notts County, where he won a Fourth Division Championship winners' medal during a successful spell. He was forced to retire at the age of 30 in 1972 after suffering a broken leg and returned to Humberside once his playing days were over.

A 23-year career in the fire service followed while he also worked as a caravan inspector and a heavy goods vehicle instructor for the Ministry of Defence.

Crickmore maintained strong links with the game after his playing days were over, officiating in local leagues and becoming a grade one referee.

He was living at a residential home in Hessle, just outside Hull, at the time of his death.