Former Norwich City striker Grant Holt out for nine months following knee injury
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Former Norwich City striker Grant Holt has been ruled out for nine months after suffering a serious knee injury.
The 33-year-old Wigan forward limped off on Boxing Day against Rotherham while in action for Championship rivals Huddersfield Town.
The Carrow Road cult hero had been on-loan with the Terriers since September following a difficult spell with the Latics – during which time Holt enjoyed an emotional return to face his former club and where he had been player of the season for three years running.
Holt was now due back at Wigan, where their new manager Malky Makay had been keen to make use of the returning striker – but those plans are now over for this season.
'It's devastating news for the boy and we'll do all we can to get him back as quickly and as safely as possible,' said Mackay.
You may also want to watch:
Holt added: 'Absolutely gutted is an understatement. To hear the outcome is bitterly disappointing. I think everyone knows I wanted to come back (to Wigan) and show everyone what I'm about.
'I think people saw that in me when I was out on loan, I was sharp and enjoying my football again. But yes, it's a big low point at the moment.'
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 3 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 4 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 5 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 6 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 7 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 8 New hotel could 'destroy character of Norwich Lanes'
- 9 Former care home sells at auction for £400,000
- 10 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England