Former Norwich City star Darel Russell to try his hand with MLS outfit Toronto
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2008
Former Norwich City midfielder Darel Russell is having a trial in Canada, according to reports.
The 32-year-old left cash-strapped League One side Portsmouth last month, a day before his contract was due to expire and is now having a trial with Toronto FC, who play their football in the MLS.
Toronto's first team coach is another former Norwich City midfielder, Jim Brennan, although their paths never crossed at Carrow Road.
Russell came through the ranks at Norwich, making his debut in 1997 before leaving for Stoke City six years later. He returned to Carrow Road in 2007, when Peter Grant was manager, but left in 2010, having helped City to promotion from League One.
Russell had spells at Preston North End and Charlton Athletic before leaving for Fratton Park last September.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 4 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 5 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 6 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 7 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 8 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 9 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 10 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos