Former Norwich City full-back Simon Lappin on trial at York City
- Credit: Focus Images
York City have taken former Norwich City favourite Simon Lappin on trial with a view to signing the 33-year-old on a free transfer.
The Scot has been without a team since being released by Scottish Premiership club St Johnstone in the summer but has been training with the struggling National League side this week.
The left-sided full-back or midfielder made 125 appearances for the Canaries between January 2007 and January 2013 before finishing his time in England with Cardiff City and Sheffield United.
Lappin scored three goals in 27 appearances for the Saints last season but new York boss Gary Mills is now considering signing him.
'Simon's my type of footballer, if that's the right way to put it,' Mills told York's official website. 'He's someone who is great on the ball and doesn't give it away.
You may also want to watch:
'He's got a good range of pass, great experience and had a good career. He's hungry to get back playing again and is still as fit as a fiddle at 33.
'I'm certainly hoping over the next couple of days he reproduces what he has done today in training and he could be our next signing.'
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 8 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 9 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 10 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash