Former Norwich City first team coach Mike Phelan is confirmed as Hull’s assistant boss
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Ex-Norwich City first team coach Mike Phelan has been confirmed as Hull City's new assistant boss.
Phelan was widely touted with the vacancy to become former Norwich and Manchester United team mate Steve Bruce's right-hand man, and the Tigers confirmed on Thursday afternoon the 52-year-old has replaced Steve Agnew, who recently joined Middlesbrough.
Phelan informed Norwich boss Alex Neil last month he wanted to sever his ties with his old club after initially linking up with former Norwich boss Neil Adams in November following an 18-month exile from the game.
'I'm extremely pleased to be at this football club,' he said. 'I want to work hard and channel all of my energy into helping the staff, the players and everybody associated with the club. I'm looking forward to working with Steve and hopefully I can bring with me some of the things I have learnt over the years to help us improve.'
Phelan enjoyed a successful coaching stint at Manchester United under Sir Alex Ferugson which included three Premier League titles, two League Cups and a World Club Cup.
You may also want to watch:
'I'm delighted to welcome Mike to the club,' said Bruce. 'Mike brings a wealth of experience to the position having worked with Sir Alex at Manchester United for many years. I've known Mike for a long time and he is a good person who will undoubtedly add something different at the training ground.'
- 1 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 2 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 3 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 4 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 5 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 6 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 7 Couple's heartbreak leads to 28 hour stream to support baby loss charity
- 8 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 9 Three taken to hospital after eight crews battle holiday park blaze
- 10 Man in 30s charged with Shipdham murder