FA Youth Cup story of the match: Norwich City U18s 4 Barnsley U18s 1
- Credit: Matthew Usher/Focus Images Ltd
This season's FA Youth Cup adventure began with a 4-1 win over Barnsley for Norwich City Under-18s this evening – which can be re-lived below.
David Wright's squad take on the Tykes at Carrow Road (7pm kick-off) in the third round of the competition and go into the game in good spirits.
The young Canaries are unbeaten in three matches after a 1-0 win at Leicester City on Saturday, thanks to a Jaden Thompson-Brissett strike in the 57th minute.
City sit 10th in the 12-team U18 Premier League South table as an academy with category one status, unlike opponents Barnsley who play in the U18 Professional Development League, also currently 10th, in an 11-team league.
Norwich have previously won the trophy in 1983 and 2013 but the visitors have never made it to a final of the competition. Last season Norwich lost 2-0 away to Tottenham Hotspur in the fifth round and Barnsley were beaten 1-0 at home by Carlisle in the third round.
The winner will earn a home tie against either Manchester United or Derby, who play their third round match on Wednesday night, to be played by Saturday, January 20.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 2 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 3 Carriageway of A11 remains closed after air ambulance called to crash
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages in north Norfolk
- 5 Recycling centre closures planned as part of £15m County Hall cuts
- 6 Customers travelling especially to visit charming new café at fishery
- 7 Drink driving teacher crashed into church wall with baby in car
- 8 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 9 Police called after sudden death at home near Norwich
- 10 Classic car show back this weekend with over 700 vehicles
• Follow updates from Carrow Road from 6.30pm above