FA Cup fourth round: West Brom 1, Norwich City 2

Substitute Simeon Jackson struck five minutes from time to book Norwich City a place in the last 16 of the FA Cup.

Jackson's quick thinking did the trick as he dispossessed West Bromwich Albion defender Craig Dawson and fired past goalkeeper Ben Foster.

Skipper Grant Holt had given the Canaries the lead after 35 minutes when he tucked home Elliott Bennett's cross for his ninth goal of the season.

But Albion levelled through Marc Antoine Fortune nine minutes into the second half after Jerome Thomas got the better of Russell Martin.

A Carrow Road replay beckoned until Jackson delivered his fourth goal of the season – but the real City hero was 19-year-old goalkeeper Jed Steer, who made a hugely impressive senior debut that included one remarkable first-half save from Thomas.

The scoreline, a replica of the Premier League result on the same ground a fortnight earlier, means City are in the fifth round for the first time since 2007 and only the fourth time in 20 seasons.

Manager Paul Lambert gave Steer his senior debut, one of five changes to the starting line-up from the 0-0 Premier League draw against Chelsea.

Most Read

Adam Drury was recalled at left-back with on-loan Kyle Naughton not allowed to play by Tottenham, while there were recalls for Andrew Crofts, Elliott Bennett and Wes Hoolahan.

John Ruddy was named as substitute keeper, Bradley Johnson was on the bench and there was no place in the 18 for Andrew Surman or Steve Morison. Full-back Marc Tierney was back in the squad as one of the substitutes, but Elliott Ward and James Vaughan did not feature after returning to action for the reserves against Chelsea on Tuesday.

Albion made three changes, all in defence, with Joe Mattock, Craig Dawson and Gonzalo Jara Reyes recalled, Jonas Olsson and Gareth McAuley relegated to on the bench and Nicky Shorey not included in the squad of 18.

The Canaries were attempting to reach the last 16 of the competition for only the fourth time in 20 seasons.

City, backed by about 3,500 travelling fans, lined up with just one striker in Holt, with Hoolahan operating between him and the midfield four.

Albion were on the offensive in the opening minutes but did not seriously threaten. Fortune got the better of Whitbread and set up Reyes for a low cross from the right, but Steer gathered it safely.

Bennett had a problem after 12 minutes when he was caught by a challenge by Mattock but was able to continue without treatment.

Back on his feet, Bennett earned City's first corner, taken by Fox and headed clear to Pilkington, who tried to float the ball back into the danger area, but it drifted out of play.

The first 20 minutes passed without a shot at goal from either side, and Steer came out confidently to claim Albion's first corner, taken by Dorrans.

Steer produced a wonderful save, however, in the 21st minute to keep City on terms. Jara Reyes crossed from the right and Thomas, coming in from the left, struck a first time effort that Steer did superbly to push on to the crossbar and away to safety.

Morrison fired wide as Albion built patiently, but it had been a quiet afternoon for Foster at the other end.

City's second corner, on 26 minutes, was taken short to Hoolahan but his cross was too strong for Holt and the striker could only help the ball on its way out of play.

Fortune glanced a header over from Dorrans' next corner, and the yellow card came out for the first time on the half-hour when Thomas was late on Russell martin.

There was a half-chance for Holt when a rebound from Pilkington found him in shooting range, but Dawson's timely challenge foiled the City skipper.

Dorrans curled in a free-kick from the corner of the penalty area after a foul by Ayala on Thomas, but Steer was more than equal to it, clutching the shot above his head with both hands.

Whitbread blocked a low drive from Jara Reyes as Albion began to show a little more urgency.

It was City who took the lead 10 minutes before the break, however, when Holt scored his ninth of the season.

It was a beautifully worked goal as Hoolahan's pass picked out Bennett on the right and his well-judged centre was perfect for Holt to fire home.

There was a flare-up eight minutes before the break when Tamas swung a wild kick at Drury as City attacked down the left. Tamas appeared to be angry about a challenge by Holt but it was surprising that referee Oliver, after lecturing Tamas and Drury, did not show a yellow card.

Steer dived to his left to save from Cox after 40 minutes as Albion looked for an equaliser.

Whitbread got his head to a Pilkington corner, but Foster gathered easily.

Dorrans fired wide in first-half stoppage time.

• Half-time: West Brom 0, Norwich City 1

Albion made a change in defence at the break when McAuley replaced Jara Reyes, Tamas moving to right-back.

Trickery by Thomas almost produced an opening for Albion as Whitbread diverted his cross over the bar, but Steer again claimed the corner from Dorrans confidently.

Albion were level nine minutes after the break, though, when Fortune found a way past Steer.

Thomas collected a long ball down the left from Mattock and Russell Martin appeared to have got in a timely tackle on the winger, but the ball rebounded kindly for Thomas, whose low cross to the near post was coolly sidefooted home by Fortune.

On the hour, goalscorer Holt was shown the yellow card by referee Oliver, who had sent him off at Reading last season. This time the City skipper slid in on Mulumbu on halfway and there could be no real complaint.

With 25 minutes to go, Lambert made a double change, bringing on Jackson and Wilbraham for Hoolahan and Holt.

There was a delay midway through the half when Tamas need treatment for what, ironically, seemed to be a bang in the face.

Russell Martin was shown the yellow card for a foul on Fortune on the edge of the Norwich area, and the Albion scorer was next to need treatment when he went down in the area, though there appeared to be no foul as Whitbread headed clear.

Albion made another change when Tchoyi was sent on for Thomas with just under 20 minutes remaining.

City's last change came with 15 minutes to go when Lappin replaced Pilkington.

Fox had a rare shot at goal and his deflected effort sent Foster scampering to his left, but it was Albion who were looking the more likely to score.

Albion made one last change with 11 minutes to go as Long replaced goalscorer Fortune.

Crofts brought Foster into action with a header from Drury's cross.

Ayala was booked for a high boot in the chest of Long.

With five minutes to go, City regained the lead as Jackson struck his fourth goal of the season.

It was a disastrous error by Dawson in his own penalty area as he was caught in possession by the Canadian, who finished in style by drilling a low shot past Foster in a flash.

Long tried to win a penalty with an optimistic lunge that did not impress referee Oliver, but then the striker was denied by Steer as the young keeper did splendidly to claw his header away.

Foster saved from Jackson on the stroke of 90 minutes after a neat touch by Wilbraham put him through, but there was a surprise when five minutes of added time were announced.

Steer was enjoying a memorable debut and saved again from Mattock as the seconds ticked away.

• Result: West Brom 1, Norwich City 2

• West Brom: Foster; Jara Reyes (McAuley, 45), Tamas, Dawson, Mattock; Mulumbu; Cox, Morrison, Dorrans, Thomas (Tchoyi, 71); Fortune (Long, 79). Subs (not used): Fulop, Olsson, Thorne, Odemwingie.

• Norwich City: Steer; Russell Martin, Ayala, Whitbread, Drury; Bennett, Crofts, Fox, Pilkington (Lappin, 75); Hoolahan (Jackson, 65); Holt (Wilbraham, 65). Subs (not used): Ruddy, Tierney, Barnett, Johnson.

• Referee: Michael Oliver

• Attendance: 17,434

• Goals: Albion: Fortune (54). City: Holt (35), Jackson (85)

• Bookings: Albion: Thomas (30). City: Holt (60), Russell Martin (69), Ayala (82)