‘Josh vs Jacob, just got to get past Chelsea...’ – Canaries fans eyeing a possible Murphy derby in the FA Cup
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City academy products Josh and Jacob Murphy could be facing each other in the FA Cup, if the Canaries can deal with the small matter of a third round replay at Chelsea.
With that replay teed up by a 0-0 draw at Carrow Road on Saturday, a Stamford Bridge replay on Wednesday, January 17 will decide which team will progress.
This evening's fourth round draw has handed the winner of that replay a home tie against Newcastle United, to be played across the weekend of January 26-29.
If Daniel Farke's team can pull off the unlikely feat of victory over the Premier League giants in their replay, it would mean a potentially memorable day for the Murphy twins.
The 22-year-old were brought up in west Norfolk and were part of City's academy system from the age of eight, becoming first-team regulars having been part of the 2013 FA Youth Cup winning squad.
The identical twins were separated last summer though when Newcastle signed Jacob for around £12.5million, having scored 10 goals in 39 games for Norwich last season.
Jacob has overcome a slow start for the Magpies – the team the twins supported as youngsters despite being born in London – to establish himself in Rafa Benitez's, making 16 Premier League appearances and winning the club's December player-of-the-month award.
- 1 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 2 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 3 Landowner to close path after abuse from dog owners letting pets off lead
- 4 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 5 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
- 6 Alleged fly-tipper smashed through hedge after being locked inside property grounds
- 7 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 8 House boarded up after fight in Norfolk village
- 9 Warning after beach-goers hit with parking fines
- 10 Norfolk spot named among UK's best waterside pubs
Josh has responded with eight goals in 26 games for the Canaries so far this season, finding his form recently after struggling for consistency earlier in the campaign.